Online library

Hi
When I look at my online Zotero library I can see my citations and I can access attached files, but most of the time I can't see my folders. Instead of my folders I just get the following message:

"There was a problem loading collections. Please try again in a few minutes."

Every now and then I can however see my folders, but this happens very rarely. Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Thanks

Dawid
  • The data server is very busy this week due to increased traffic.

We're in the process over the next week of switching to a new server architecture that should speed up syncing and website access dramatically.
  • Hello,

I just bought zotero storage space because I was tired of webdav sync problems and wanted to be able to search my library and access attached files from any browser. My library is quite small about 500Mb.
    However each and everytime I try to access my library I get the "There was a problem loading collections. Please try again in a few minutes". It is annoying not to have my collections but I could survive it, the biggest problem is that I cannot access any search box that would allow me to quickly find the reference I am looking for.

Thanks in advance for your help
  • there is no search function for the online library at this time.
    Your collections should still sync between computers.
    Since when have you been experiencing this problem?
  • Hello, thanks for the quick reply. I subscribed less than a week ago and never was able to see my collections.

As for the online search, I am disaponted but it is my mistake. I was assuming such a function would exist. Indeed I don't really see the point of having my online library of nearly 900 entries with my pdf and notes online, if I have to manually browse and visually search through 25 pages each time I need a note or pdf. Are you planning to have that feature in the future ? Is is technically difficult ?

Maybe as a turnaround I could create 26 collections containing articles whose first author's last name start with a given letter but collections are not working anyway and having to do this would probably kill the magic of zotero.

Do not take my critics personally, I hope this could contribute to improving the zotero experience for the community of users. I am VERY satisfied with zotero in genreal and have since given up all other references managers, and actively spreading the zotero revolution among students and scholars.

Best
  • I don't work for Zotero, but the online display of libraries is still in its early stages and will be improved in a number of ways, including searching and ordering.

Currently, one of its main benefits is that you can point people to specific entries or collections online (if your library is public that is), but otherwise the online library is indeed not super-useful. The online display is also a by-product of the sync

But in general the idea was never to make the online version of the library something that you yourself use to find stuff - why would you do that? I'm not sure I understand. Why not use your local or synced copy?
  • Hi, thanks for the quick reply ! I do get your point.

My situation is that I travel quite often and often have the need to quickly access one of my references when I am visiting a colleague or working from a cybercafe, which means in situations where I do not have my own browser and zotero extension installed but do have an internet connection and some kind of browser. But I guess I could have a portable firefox with zotero on my pendrive and this would solve the problem when I am using a windows computer.

Best
  • http://framakey.org/Pack/Framakey-Ubuntu - this gives you a windows and a mac portable firefox as well as a full ubuntu with firefox - and all using the same profile path, i.e. you can use your zotero base from all platforms.
  • that's brilliant ! thanks !