Custom Profile Directory Breaks Zotero

I am using Zotero 1.0.0rc5 from the Zotero website. I am using Firefox 2.0.0.8.

I mainly use Zotero on PubMed. When I set a custom profile directory (which is a requirement for me), Zotero loses the ability to import from PubMed.

I lose the Zotero article icon and the folder icon from the address bar.
  • FYI, I verified this behavior on a second computer. I think it is probably a real bug.
  • I can't reproduce this. Do you lose all auto-import ability? (Try, say, news.bbc.co.uk.)

Try rebuilding your translator table from the Advanced section of the Zotero prefs. Might also want to try a database integrity check.
  • Rebuilding the translator table solved the issue. Before rebuilding, news.bbc.co.uk had auto-import ability but PubMed did not.

One thing I was doing when I reproduced this yesterday is that I pointed each computer at the same existing custom storage location on a network drive when I changed the preferences. Apparently that storage location had a problem related to translators for PubMed.

Thanks for your help. It is good to have Zotero back!
  • I have more to report on this:

I started with a very clean Virtual PC running Windows XP Pro that has Firefox 2.0.0.6 and has never had Zotero installed. I downloaded and installed Firefox 2.0.0.8. Then I went to Zotero.org and installed 1.0.0rc5.xpi.

After installing Zotero and setting a custom storage location, I went to news.bbc.co.uk and expected to be able to auto-import a news item using the address bar icon. However, there was no Zotero icon in the address bar.

Then I opened Zotero's preferences, went the advanced panel and checked database integrity. The database was corrupt even though I had never saved anything yet - this was a completely fresh installation with a brand new storage location.

I reported the error with ID 653575188.

I restarted Firefox and everything worked.

I repeated all these steps again with another fresh Virtual PC and a new storage location and I got the same corrupt database a second time.
  • Well, your error report shows disk I/O errors—presumably something to do with Virtual PC—so not much we can do about this.

Note that the DB integrity check isn't necessarily accurate. Only way to tell if the DB is corrupt or not is by running "PRAGMA integrity_check;" on zotero.sqlite in the command line SQLite3 client with Firefox closed. Can also upload your database to the repair tool, and it'll give you a warning if the database was corrupted.

Situation should improve in FF3, generally.