Multiple sources

I found out some annoying mistakes in the use of multiple sources:

1 /The only locator to be interpreted is page. All others are ignored. Whatever the locator type is, no label, except the one for page, is added (example, note 2 : Molière, Le Misanthrope, where the selection of verse is ignored).

2 / If the book has been cited in the immediately preceding note, Zotero does not detect the position ibid or ibid-with-locator. It’s always considered as a subsequent position (example, notes 1 and 2 : Molière, Le Misanthrope).

3/ When the book is cited for the first time as one of multiple sources, if the next one concerns the same book, Zotero does not either detect the position ibid or ibid-with-locator. It’s always considered as a subsequent position ((example, note 3 : A. Artaud, Le théâtre et son double)

4/ not so important : the need to add a suffix after each cited source (except the last one), so as to separate it from the following one (example, note 2, “. “ added after 15-18)

Examples, where note 3 cites 2 sources :

1 Molière, Le Misanthrope. Édition présentée, établie et annotée par Jacques Chupeau. Paris : Gallimard, 1999, v. 15-20.

2 Molière, Le Misanthrope, op. cit., 15-18. A. Artaud, Le théâtre et son double ; (suivi de) Le théâtre de Séraphin. Paris : Gallimard, 1995, p. 25.

3 A. Artaud, Le théâtre et son double, op. cit., p. 25.

Do you think it can be corrected in a near future ?
  • Which style and which version of Zotero do these results come from?
  • I use Zotero 2.0.9 and an adapted style (from Chicago bibliography full notes)

This style tests the different positions : first, ibid, ibid-with-locator and subsequent, which all work correctly for single sources.

The style's name is "France-Sc-Hum.csl", available at
    https://sites.google.com/site/llcommun/file-cabinet

Would it be necessary to write some lines about multiple sources ? If yes, I didn't find any information on the subject. Thanks for helping.
  • edited October 18, 2010
    The style looks sound. Can you post an Zotero RDF export of the references to your file-cabinet area? I'd like to give it a try with Zotero 2.1 beta and see what happens.

As a side note, the style has text-case="capitalize-first" set on a number of the cs:names nodes. That's not valid in CSL 1.0, so those attributes will need to be removed.

(Edit: It looks like your use of text-case="capitalize-first" is meant to cope with all-caps surnames in the data. The text-case of entries should be fixed in the data itself, rather than relying on CSL to tidy things up.)
  • I found RDF for another set of references on your site, and gave those a try. Under Zotero 2.1, backreferences work as you would expect (the first reference in the second note turns to "Ibid." as appropriate, and has the verse label if specified on the cite in the plugin.

I haven't checked to confirm the issue under Zotero 2.0. If there are problems with position evaluation in 2.0 as you describe, they are unlikely to be fixed; although Zotero 2.1 is still in the testing phase, that will be the way forward.

To get punctuation between the entries, set delimiter=". " on the cs:layout node. In Zotero 2.1, this will give you a double period when the op cit. label renders without a specific locator (as when the reference in note 1 has a locator, and the first reference in note 2 does not). This is a known bug in the CSL processor in 2.1, which will be fixed in due course.
  • edited October 20, 2010
    Hello fbennett,

Thanks very much for your response and remarks.

If I have well understood, Zotero 2.1 uses the new CSL 1.0.

I have to get another computer to implement it, include some of the new features and test the whole of it.

I'll let you know about it.

By the way, concerning locators (with single source), I noticed some problems.

1/ sub verbo cannot be tested in a style

2/ All useful locators type don't exist. I encountered the need for Act, scene ... (for plays). In this particular case, the exact need would be : multiple locators (up to 3)

There are probably other locators not yet introduced in Zotero, I proposed to define a "universal" locator without associated label that could be used for different purposes, a sort of "joker".

see http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/14717/universal-locator-type/#Item_4

Do you think it could it be fixed in zotero 2.1 ?