Firefox Hang Problem

I'm using Firefox 3.6.10 with Zotero 2.0.9 and Zotero Mac Integration 3.0b3.

I use this with Microsoft Word 2008 on my MacBook OSX 10.5.8.

I believe it's makes Firefox hang up all the time, particularly when switching from other applications (Word, Safari, etc.) to Firefox by clicking on the Firefox window the browser hangs for about 30 seconds--it just happened as I was writing this.

It seems a lot of people I know that use Zotero in my department on Macs have the same problem, others--with my same software combo--say they don't.

I've tried reinstalling everything several times, to no avail. Help please. I love Zotero, but this problem makes it really annoying to use.
  • How have you tested that this is indeed Zotero? Seems quite unlikely as you describe it - Zotero usually doesn't do much unless you're actually using it (i.e. scraping, citing etc.), so it'd be unlikely to cause such delays.
    In any case - unless you can create reproducible steps to create that hang, unfortunately this is completely useless as an error report - developers can't fix what they can't replicate.
  • Sorry to un-specify. Safari is my preferred browser so I ONLY use firefox when I'm using word AND doing citations.

Switching between Word and Firefox, for example, equals hang.
  • again, though - why do you think this is Zotero?
    This is obviously not something all Zotero users experience, nor all Zotero and Mac users (most devs use Mac, in fact). So first you want to make sure this is actually Zotero. Have you disabled Zotero and done the same things, for example?
  • And if this happens only when Zotero is enabled in the Add-Ons dialog, you'll want to enable Debug Output (http://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output) and submit it and an error report for an instance of switching to Firefox and getting this hang.

You may also want to try disabling automatic syncing -- I personally do get periodic hangs when syncing starts and finishes on my underpowered netbook.