zotero is not naming my same-author,same-year references by a,b,c anymore

that is exactly the problem: all of a sudden this function of zotero does not work anymore on my computer.
so if I have two quotations of "smith 2005" in my text (but referring to two different articles of the same author), it does not put the "a, b"- distinction anymore.

I am using a PC and word right now. before I was using a mac and it worked, but now since my mac crashed and since I am using this new computer, it doesn't do it anymore.

what am I doing wrong to make this work again?

thanks for any hint!
  • Try it in the test panel
    chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul

Have you tried a completely fresh document? Have you tried different citation styles?
  • What adamsmith says. This depends on the citation style you choose. It is extremely unlikely that a crash would cause this.
  • I am sorry to bother again, but it kind of cannot be the problem of the citation-style. in the SAME document sometimes with two articles it DOES DO the a,b,c-thing and then with two other articles it just DOESN'T do it, regardless how often I refresh zotero.

I am quite desperate as I am in the final phase of my phd and now this happens!!! my whole documents are only made with zotero!! help!!!
  • What version of Zotero are you running?
  • edited October 19, 2010
    zotero 2.0.9
    firefox 3.6.10
    word 2003
    windows 7
  • Can you export two citations that don't get disambiguated properly and email them to support@zot...org?
  • yes, ok, I'll do it right away. I will just copy-paste the passage in a fresh document and send it, ok?
  • It would also be great if you could send the items themselves (exported as Zotero RDF).
  • I just took a look at the files you sent. Your references look fine, but I notice that the style sorts your bibliography by author, then title, then genre, and finally by year. If the two references with the same author and year don't come sequentially in the bibliography, the current citation processor fails to disambiguate them correctly. Is this the case for the entries that aren't being properly disambiguated in your current document? If so, and if this is the ordering you intend for your bibliography entries, you could give Zotero 2.1 beta a try, but you should certainly make sure to back up both your Zotero library and your document before you try upgrading, in case the upgrade introduces a new set of issues.
  • edited October 19, 2010
    I just checked it - but the references that fail do appear sequentially in my bibliography....
    (for the last three examples in the text I found out the error by myself now, in one case I put "editor" instead of "author", and now it works magically - but for the references of 1978, it still doesn't work.. so strange!)