Attachment r on Zotero server but not accessible from other computer than the one uploaded from

Hello,

I read many threads here but didnt find any answer to my problem:

I have uploaded items with attachments (pdf) from two different computers (via Zotero server). Sync works well for items, but since a few days days, I can only access the PDF from the computer I uploaded them from. On the other computer, the item and the PDF symbol+filename is shown, but when I try to open it, I get the error message "Item canot be found might have been deleted or moved outside Zotero".
When I check in the library on the Zotero server, the items+pdf attachments seem to be there (although I cannot open the pdf on the server but I guess thats normal?). Strangely enough, when I started using Zotero, it worked well but now has stopped functioning for some unknown reason.
I have tried to reset the sync history etc. on both computers, no luck. My sync settings in the preferences are correct, too.
Any ideas what the reason might be?

Thanks a lot!
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/files_not_syncing
    it seems like you've followed all of this, but please double check, especially making sure that syncing from the 2nd computer is in fact working otherwise.

Then see the bottom part about how submitting debug output. Follow the instructions very carefully here as to what to do before sending the debug - a lot of times people will submit wrong/useless debug that doesn't contain the required information.
  • OK, I will re-check.
    I just noticed that on the server, there is just the indication of the PDF (filename, size etc.), and not the file itself (I can open/download the PDF for certain files, but not for others). So the information is there, but the file is in fact not on the server..
  • I dont know if I made the problem clear: The difficulty in accessing attached pdfs occurs on either computer: I cannot access the attachments I uploaded on the other computer and vice-versa.
    Does that change anything in the procedure?
    Will post a debug ID from one computer in a minute..
  • Here is the Debug ID after the Reset:
    D2081365044

Thanks !
  • I have now checked the other computer: It reports an error (Error ID 1501594708) for being unable to write a file to a storage directory.
    I have then checked: The file that cannot be written does not exist in my library at Zotero.org, I have deleted the directory in question ("C33A7SGF") several times from the computer I work on and tried again, no luck. Always the same message and the directory was recreated.
    I have reset the sync by clearing the sync history, again, nothing helps.
    Any ideas what to do next?
    Thanks for your help :-)
  • That does not show debug output for a sync that generates the error—that's just a few seconds of sync queuing.
  • OK, sorry , new try!

Debug ID D673748173

I now made sure the file not found error is there...
    This is just on one computer. The other one does not give an error message.
    I can see the files I uploaded from this computer on this computer, but not the ones from the other one despite the fact I can see those from the other computer. Its only the attachments that are missing, the items are synced until I last tried..

Thanks !
  • OK, this is the ID of the "normal" snyc error I get after a few seconds when I hit the sync button:

Thanks !
  • Ha, now I found (at least a part) of the solution!

I emptied (in that order):
    1-cache in Firefox -> no effect
    2-snc history in Zotero -> no effect
    3-TRASH in Zotero -> WORKED!

So apparently, Zotero tried to rewrite the directory that caused the sync stop from Trash despite the fact that it was deleted from Zotero, the storage directory on my computer and did not exist on the server.
    Will try to sync other computer later and post outcome.
  • OK, now I tried on the other computer. Sync didnt work, but as soon as I emptied the Trash, there wasn´t any problem anymore. So its like in real life: Trash causes problems!
  • cool - thanks for reporting back.
    That should probably go into the troubleshooting instructions then.
  • Yes, it was very unusual. I cleared everything and deleted the directory+file that was apparently causing the sync problem in the storage directory on both computers, checked on the zotero server, emptied the cache of the browser, cleared the sync history several times...nothing did it. Until I cleared the trash...
  • Items still exist in Zotero until they're cleared from the trash.