NoScript and Zotero NOT working together

2»
  • edited August 9, 2012
    Fair points, all. Because it might have more general usefulness in the future, I will follow up with NoScript to see if subpath file:// URI whitelisting is on the roadmap. Thanks for your thoughtful reply!

Update: I have started a NoScript forums thread on this topic here:

http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9236
  • To be clear, even with Mozilla's current file:// URI same-origin policy, I think it's perfectly reasonable for NoScript to block JS in file:// URIs by default, since the expected behavior is that JS in loaded pages won't load. The default is really just a problem for Zotero+NoScript users, which is why our switching to resource: (if possible) is probably the best fix. And its being a reasonable default also doesn't necessarily mean there's much of a security concern with whitelisting file://.
  • I had the same problem as D0gg0nit and have another suggestion. Now that my problem is solved, I understand what the message is saying.

The text of the message is a problem all its own. I think it may be technically accurate, but it is definitely baffling to non-experts.

I would like to propose the following as a draft to use for developing a message that is understandable to someone who has no clue what a scheme is in this context, or what the NoScript preferences are, since neither term appears in the path to the NoScript Options.

The NoScript extension is preventing Zotero from displaying notes. To use NoScript and Zotero together in Firefox, select Tools, then Options. Under the General tab, click the Manage Add-ons button. Select Extensions, then beside NoScript, click its Options button. Select the Whitelist tab. Under "Address of web site:" type 'file:' without the quotes. Click OK and return to Zotero. If Zotero still has the problem, restart Firefox.

Unfortunately, this description is much longer than the current message, and I am aware of the desire to keep messages succinct. However, to the uninitiated, the current message is so cryptic as to be worse than useless. It is misleading. Please consider the people who do not understand the jargon when rewriting the message.

Thank you.
  • edited September 1, 2012
    However, to the uninitiated, the current message is so cryptic as to be worse than useless. It is misleading. Please consider the people who do not understand the jargon when rewriting the message.
    in all fairness - all preferences for all Firefox add-ons can be found exactly at that place. And whether they're called "options" or "preferences" depends on the operating system.
  • Point well taken. Please do not lose sight of the need to create messages that communicate clearly to non-experts.
  • In NoScript, selecting

"Cascade top document's permissions to 3rd party scripts"

will throw the error

"The NoScript extension is preventing Zotero from displaying notes. To use NoScript and Zotero together, whitelist the 'file:' scheme in the NoScript preferences and restart Firefox."