Question marks appearing instead of author name in chicago style

Hello,

I stumbled upon a strange problem using Zotero 2.0.8 in ff 3.6.10, win XP sp3, word 2003 with plugin 3.0a5 from trunk (due to a problem with index fields: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/13893/word-plugin-problem-with-document/#Item_3)
I am using Chicago style (author date format) with disambiguation turned off as instructed in zotero site. Suppose I start a document, insert a couple of cites and add bibliography below, I got that:
--------------------------------------------
First attempt (Grahame 1954) second attempt (Grahame and Soderberg 1954)

Bibliography
Grahame, David C. 1954. Differential Capacity of Mercury in Aqueous Sodium Fluoride Solutions. I. Effect of Concentration at 25°. Journal of the American Chemical Society 76, no. 19 (October 1): 4819-4823. doi:10.1021/ja01648a014.
Grahame, David C., and Barbara A. Soderberg. 1954. Ionic Components of Charge in the Electrical Double Layer. The Journal of Chemical Physics 22, no. 3: 449-460. doi:10.1063/1.1740089.
---------------------------------------------

So far, so good. Now I insert a third citation:
---------------------------------------------------------
First attempt (Grahame 1954) second attempt (Grahame and Soderberg 1954) third attempt (Grahame 1958)

Bibliography
Grahame, David C. 1954. Differential Capacity of Mercury in Aqueous Sodium Fluoride Solutions. I. Effect of Concentration at 25°. Journal of the American Chemical Society 76, no. 19 (October 1): 4819-4823. doi:10.1021/ja01648a014.
???. 1958. Components of Charge and Potential in the Non-diffuse Region of the Electrical Double Layer: Potassium Iodide Solutions in Contact with Mercury at 25°1. Journal of the American Chemical Society 80, no. 16: 4201-4210. doi:10.1021/ja01549a022.
Grahame, David C., and Barbara A. Soderberg. 1954. Ionic Components of Charge in the Electrical Double Layer. The Journal of Chemical Physics 22, no. 3: 449-460. doi:10.1063/1.1740089.
---------------------------------------------------------

The new reference appears in the bibliography with '???' instead of the author name. What is strange is that if I insert the troublesome cite in a new document, all goes well:
----------------------------------------------------------
Other attempt (Grahame 1958) xxx

Bibliography
Grahame, David C. 1958. Components of Charge and Potential in the Non-diffuse Region of the Electrical Double Layer: Potassium Iodide Solutions in Contact with Mercury at 25°1. Journal of the American Chemical Society 80, no. 16: 4201-4210. doi:10.1021/ja01549a022.
-----------------------------------------------------------

The item in the database looks good. What can be the source of the problem?

Thanks all,

Fernando
  • The replacement of the author's name (with dashes, it should be) is normal -- it's defined in the Chicago style. But the question marks are a bug: they're supposed to show up as em-dashes. Em-dashes are expressed in non-ascii UTF-8, and their corruption into question marks is certainly an encoding problem, somewhere in the chain of processing.

The same issue affects 2.1, which uses a different CSL processor. It may take some time to identify the source of the error. In the meantime, you can either tidy up the document at the final stage with find and replace, or change the em-dashes to another value.

http://www.zotero.org/support/csl_simple_edits
  • Hi fbennett,

Thanks, I changed the em-dashes to common dashes and it worked fine. In fact, I recall now that I have seen the dashes there before. May be (not sure) that the problem appeared when I downloaded the word plugin form the trunk.

Regards,

Fernando
  • Frank, can you reproduce this on the trunk? I'm not seeing problems with the em dashes in Word on Mac or Windows. I'll give OOo a try if you see this there.
  • Yes, with OO under Linux, I get the question marks. Same result whether the dashes are written into the attribute as UTF8 or as numeric entities.