something is very wrong here...

For a brief moment, I had Zotero running nicely and synced between the three platforms I use...MacBook Pro with Word, Windows Vista running under Boot Camp on MacBook Pro, and Toshiba netbook using Windows 7 Pro. On The two Windows machines I have MS Word 2007 with all 3,500 updates installed.

<1> Zotero database and Word plug-in work just dandy in Mac but I HATE Word on Mac.

<2> After rebuilding Boot Camp and installing Windows 7 Pro and reinstalling everything else, including MS Word, Zotero, and Word plug-in, the Zotero tools did not appear under Add-Ins but I figured out that I could access them via View Macros...what a pain. I have tried everything I can find in the support documents.

<3> On the Toshba netbook using Windows 7 Pro, Zotero will not install in Firefox 3.6.10 period, the Zotero icon does not appear at all in the Firefox browser, and MS Word has nothing whatever related to Zotero...not even as macros.

I am a university professor and liked Zotero so much that I set up a university-wide Zotero demonstration and promotion. I have canceled it indefinitely because my life's work has become trying to get Zotero to even run on my own equipment...if I promote this on campus I will have to get an unlisted phone number.

Firefox update issue? Windows 7 Pro or update issue? Bad karma? Doesn't like my breath? Is there anybody out there......
  • On the Toshba netbook using Windows 7 Pro, Zotero will not install in Firefox 3.6.10 period, the Zotero icon does not appear at all in the Firefox browser
    That would be a Firefox problem, not a Zotero problem.

http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/no_status_bar_icon
  • OK I uninstalled Firefox, reinstalled, reinstalled Zotero and the Zotero MS Word Windows plug-in. Zotero icon now appears right lower corner as it should and I successfully synced my ref files. So now I have two machines where I can see the Zotero macros via View Macros but there is NO BLOODY ZOTERO tool visible anywhere...not even under Add-Ins. Just too awkward to use like this.
  • Do you have an Add-ins bar at all? What is there?
  • edited October 2, 2010
    OK I uninstalled, reinstalled, etc. again and NOW IT WORKS. Repeated on the other Windows machine and now IT WORKS TOO. Zotero tools now visible under Add-Ins, bib files synced perfectly. Why? I don't have a clue. I'm wondering if the Zotero tools on machine two were actually hidden beneath some Add-In icons from something else. I also suspect that computing machinery senses level of stress because these things seem to happen when there is a tight deadline, and on weekends.