Openoffice doesn't comunicate with firefox - ubuntu 10.10

Hi,

I'm using Zotero 2.0.8 and zotero integration 3.0a8, and openoffice 3.2 from official openoffice website package.
On ubuntu 10.10 with KDE, I also use last official sun java JRE and Plugin for firefox and all seems to be working, BUT,

When I open openoffice, I can see zotero tool bar, firefox is loaded and I can use zotero without error in firefox, but when I try to insert a citation in openoffice, I still have this message :
“Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, and then try again.”

I guess it's a java communication error, but I'm not good enough to find the problem myself, so if someone could help me it will really be friendly !

Or perhaps someone can show me another way to integer bibliography and citations in openoffice !

thanks in adavance !
  • Thanks Dan but I've already done this about ten times BEFORE posting !! I've also looked in this forum for the post about my problem, but nothing solves it... This problem often appears in zotero, so my post is just a kind of update.
    Is there any other way to insert a zotero bibliography in openoffice ??
  • what do you see when you type
    sudo update-alternatives --config mozilla-javaplugin.so
    in the terminal?
    Generally "done this" is usually too little information to go by. We need to know more precisely what you did and didn't do.

You can select items in Zotero and right-click --> Create Bibliography --> Clipboard
    and paste that to Ooo.
  • Hi Adam Smith (is it your real name or a pseudo inspired from the capitalism's father ?)

btw, when I do what you write, I've this :
    There are 2 choices for the alternative mozilla-javaplugin.so (providing /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so).

Sélection Chemin Priorité État
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    0 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so 1061 mode automatique
    1 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so 1061 mode manuel
    * 2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so 63 mode manuel

But I must to say that today Zotero is working with openoffice.... I've done nothing more or less, just restart my computer !!!

So, in the troubleshooting section for linux users, you may specify to restart computer, perhaps a java specification make java unable to activate correctly zotero integration ??
  • There is information on incompatibility with OpenJDK and IcedTea -- it looks like that's what you were running into.
  • I'm running sun java tools, not openjdk nor IcedTea as you can see in my precedent post.
    Nevermind, it almost works for me (I still have a java error when I refresh my biblipography or when I change style, but at the end, information appears correctly in my document, and that the only thing I want !)
    Thanks for your different answers even if it seems the problem is somewhere else !
    I know it's an hard work to develop this kind of plugin for linux because of different distribution way for java integration, and I want to really thanks people who do that work !
  • 0 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so 1061 mode automatique
    1 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so 1061 mode manuel

You have OpenJDK/IcedTea installed as well. JVM and Java plugin choice can be messy-- the mere presence sometimes seems like it causes problems.
  • Hum...Well, I can try with unsinstalling openjdk and IcedTea, but As you can see, it's the sun java which is selected :

* 2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so 63 mode manuel

Thanks for your help ajilyon ;-)