Keeping track of when I cite items in my library

With the developer resources limited as ever I dread making new suggestions but I just want to get this idea out to be able to refer to it.

Already the word processor plugins communicate with Zotero. It would be nice if Zotero kept track of where (i.e. in which document) I cited a given item. This would be very useful for creating bibliographies from within Zotero. Currently, my bibliography for paper X, although managed with Zotero, is pretty much stuck inside the particular document, and there is no way to get it out. If Zotero somehow recorded where I cite stuff, this would in theory be way easier. Apart from that, sometimes you just wonder: did I already cite this paper in any of my own papers or thesis chapters? Again if this were recorded this would be easy to look up.

There can be simple and complex implementations of this. One of the most simple would be to create a collection for each paper I'm using the word processor plugin with, and update that collection automatically whenever I update the citations in the paper. No separate DB field is needed, it uses existing machinery and UI, and only requires a way of linking the word processor plugin activity to collections.
  • that's actually been a pretty frequent request - though I'm not finding the right search terms either. here is one thread:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/11983/times-cited-locally-column-warning-on-delete-owner-of-reference-column/
    but I'm pretty sure there are some with more extensive discussions.