Mapping zotero file path numbers to "new" storage folder's random strings

Hello,

I tried searching for information on this topic, and I apologize in advance if this has been answered elsewhere. Every once in a while, I need to check out the actual files that a snapshot stores. This was initially quite easy to do because the file path for an archive file was exactly the same as what appeared in the browser. At some point, Zotero changed things up and provided a truncated url that began with zotero://attachment/NUMBER, but I could still use the number to find the folder.

I haven't had to look for a file in a while, but today I experienced a strange error when I clicked on a snapshot in the zotero interface, briefly saw the file appear in the browser, and then the screen switch to "file not found." So I figured I would just find file in the storage folder.

However, now the folder names are no longer the numbers and are instead strings and the zotero file paths still have number in them. Is there a way to map the strings to the filepaths that show up in the browser?

I guess one work around is that I can try to compare the timestamp on the folder creation with the timestamp on the time an item was added.

I can understand the desire to make it difficult for users like me to screw something up in the actual files, but there should be a way to access the files directly and find stuff when I need to open up a saved web page outside of the zotero interface.

Thanks,

Dan
  • there should be a way to access the files directly and find stuff when I need to open up a saved web page outside of the zotero interface.
    Like clicking Show File instead of View Snapshot?
    today I experienced a strange error when I clicked on a snapshot in the zotero interface, briefly saw the file appear in the browser, and then the screen switch to "file not found."
    Likely a problem with some JavaScript in the saved page.
  • "there should be a way to access the files directly and find stuff when I need to open up a saved web page outside of the zotero interface."

"Like clicking Show File instead of View Snapshot?"

I guess that would depend on what would happen with "Show File." It would definitely be helpful to see where the file lives on my desktop and be able to get to it. I could imagine that happening in a way like Mendeley's "Open File Externally." I want to make sure that I can open up the snapshot with another application besides Firefox if I ever need to (this does happen from time to time... and of course there are issues like the one described above).
  • have you tried clicking Show File?
    I don't understand exactly how that's not meeting your needs.
  • Then click "Show file" and open the file in the application of your choice. Non-snapshot attachments can already be opened in external applications, and usually are (PDFs, etc.) There is not a common use case for snapshots to be opened in external applications-- show file should serve most people well enough.
  • actually snapshots can also be accessed by other browsers. You'll just have to identify the main file (usually .htm or .html ) - it's listed under "Filename" in Zotero's right pane.
    By right-click ---> Open with you can open that with any browse you want.
  • Thanks for the help. I can now see where there was some confusion.

I never click "View Snapshot" button from the sub-item--I click it when the main item is selected--so I hadn't realized that there was a "Show File" button next to it in my last response. Either I had forgotten or had not realized that "Show File" button even existed.

I had been used to occasionally being able to go into the file system by following the path or reference number in the address bar. Show File does indeed make it easy to find the file. Assuming of course that nothing breaks. It would still be nice if those filepaths were not quite so obscure, especially in comparison to how it used to be.