File sync error 736785521

I have in the past synced successfully to the free Zotero storage, but had exceeded that so turned it off. Today I purchased a larger account and turned file sync back on.

When I attempt to sync, I receive a file sync error, report number 736785521:

[JavaScript Error: "Unexpected status code 0 caching authentication credentials in Zotero.Sync.Storage.Session.ZFS.getLastSyncTime()" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/zfs.js" line: 840}]

I have both restarted Firefox and rebooted the computer, no change.
If I navigate to https://sync.zotero.org and https://api.zotero.org, I see "Nothing to see here" for both sites (suggestion from below thread).
http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/14204/error-report-1866800224/

Note that the standard library sync works fine, it is only file sync that I have an issue with. Note also that file sync worked fine for me in the past from this machine, but has stopped now.

What could be the issue here?
  • It looks to me like you synced files successfully an hour ago.
  • As far as we know, this indicates a connection problem caused by Firefox, something on your computer (e.g., firewall software), or your network (e.g., proxy server).

But since file syncing appears to have been working for you a few minutes ago, there's no reason to think this isn't just an intermittent network error.
  • No, files didn't sync successfully. The total size of my Zotero library should be 345Mb (based on the size of the "storage" folder in my Zotero profile on my computer). However my online storage is still at 96Mb, which it has been for a very long time, ever since I stopped syncing to the free storage months ago.

I did start a home computer that I haven't used with Zotero for a while the other day, if I inadvertantly opened Firefox this might have caused a successful sync. I'll have to look into that.

I am still receiving the same file sync error in Firefox whenever I use it on the computer in question. This is running Windows XP SP3, Firefox 3.6.3 and Zotero 2.0.8. I am on a work network and behind a proxy server, but Firefox is set to run through this fine, and sync has worked in the past.
  • Updated Firefox to 3.6.10, and disabled FlashGot and Greasemonkey (just in case). Still the same error.
  • I am on a work network and behind a proxy server
    OK, this is definitely due to brokenness somewhere in your network environment, but I've reworked Zotero's file sync code to avoid the use of HEAD requests, which are perfectly valid but possibly less well supported by some proxies and security software.

Download the latest 2.0 Branch dev XPI and let us know if it fixes the problem.
  • No luck there unfortunately. It's installed fine (version 2.0.9r6936) but still the same sync error. I have rebooted the computer to be sure but no change.

When restarting Firefox after rebooting I got an "unresponsive script" error from zotero (should have noted it down but forgot), but just clicked "continue" and it went away. Not sure if that would be related.

If the issue will be the network, is there anything I can do in Zotero's settings to get around that?
  • My data directory is in a custom location on a network drive, that wouldn't be affecting anything would it?
  • Sorry, looks like the XPI didn't get built since the fix. Go to Tools->Add-ons->Extensions->Find Updates and update to r6941.
  • Now it doesn't appear to be attempting to file sync. I click on the sync button and it turns for a second, then stops. No errors are thrown up, it just doesn't sync the files.

I have deselected file sync in preferences, synced, reselected it and synced again - still not working. I have added an attachment to my library and synced, it is now listed online but not stored there.
  • edited September 28, 2010
    Are you sure you have it set to sync files in both personal and group libraries (or whichever one you added a file to) to the Zotero servers?

If you think you're doing everything correctly, generate a Debug ID for adding a file and the first sync after that.
  • Well done, my mistake there! I had only selected syncing group files, not my files! Awesome, it's doing a file sync successfully now.

Thanks heaps for all your help. Hopefully that's all sorted now.

When would you expect the edits you made to the XPI to make it into the stable build? At what stage would it be safe for me to revert to using the stable released version? After the next upgrade of that?

Thankyou again.
  • Great.

We'll probably put out a 2.0.9 with this and a couple other fixes sometime within the next week or so (and that will likely be the last 2.0.x release). You should be fine using the dev version until 2.0.9 comes out, at which point you can switch over. You can ignore any dev build updates that are offered to you until then.
  • Excellent. This is what I love about open source projects. Wouldn't get this great service from Endnote! Good on you.