"Zotero is undefined" with SVN version 2.1b2.SVN

Hi,

I followed instructions on http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/svn_and_trac_access
to checkout the current trunk version, created the zotero@chnm.gmu.edu
text file, etc...

When I restart Firefox, the Zotero icon is there, but with a warning
sign. Having a look at the console, it says:

Zotero is undefined
chrome://zotero/content/overlay.js Line: 319

Dan Stillman advised to delete compreg.dat and xpti.dat from my Firefox profile directory. Which I did, and which didn't solve the issue.

I'm running Firefox 3.6.10, created a dev profile, and got the last stable XPI version running just fine on my normal profile... Any ideas?

Many thanks,
-Etienne
  • compreg.dat and xpti.dat weren't necessarily meant to solve the issue. Did it change the error at all on the next Firefox restart?
  • No, the error was exactly the same. I'll try on another computer during the weekend. Thanks for you help! :)
  • edited September 25, 2010
    Okay, I've tried on another computer, and I get the same problem, but also what seems more detailed error messages:

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code:
      0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH)
      [nsILocalFile.appendRelativePath]" nsresult: "0x80520001
      (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH)" location:
      "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js ::
      getZoteroDirectory :: line 644" data: no]
    File: file:///D:/.../zotero/components/zotero-service.js
    Line: 180

(I've mangled the full directory name but there really isn't anything special in it)

and

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned
      failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)
      [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016
      (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
    &nbsp;&nbsp;chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 4"
    &nbsp;&nbsp;data: no]

And then similar (though not identical) error as before:

Error: Zotero is undefined<br/>
    File: chrome://zotero/content/browser.js<br/>
    LineĀ : 808

Error: Zotero is undefined<br/>
    File: chrome://zotero/content/overlay.xul<br/>
    Line: 528

Now, this is not on a English version of Firefox, so I'll try on yet another computer English localized...

A little info on what I did: I've got version 6897. I first tried with the SVN versionned directory, but I had warning messages of Firefox trying to load the .svn dirs as extensions (didn't have that on the other computer...) so I used a clean export instead. That removed the warning messaged, but didn't solve the issue.

Cheers,
    -Etienne
  • Okay the issue seems to be with lines 620 to 661 of chrome\content\zotero\xpcom\zotero.js.

I don't completely understand what these lines are for, appart that it has to do with directories. So maybe it only fails with an SVN install since the directory structure is different... But my impression is that whatever goes wrong during the execution of this code shouldn't block Zotero as it seems to only be so that a Firefox install of Zotero would be able to share data with a standolone Zotero install if exists... Am I right? Also is relying on a static directory structure robust enough?

Anyway, in the end I've commented this block, and so far, things seem to work fine.

Oh, and I also deleted COinS.js translator that has a "null" target, which apparently prevented me from using any translator.

I hope I'm not saying to much rubbish...

Cheers,
    -Etienne
  • edited September 25, 2010
    What platform is this?
    Oh, and I also deleted COinS.js translator that has a "null" target, which apparently prevented me from using any translator.
    There was a typo in the translator metadata. Fixed in SVN.
  • If Windows, we're working on a fix.
  • Yes, Windows.
    Okay, in the mean time, I'll switch to Linux. Thanks a lot!

-Etienne
  • I don't know if it's fixed, but you can try the latest version from SVN.
  • Seems fixed to me :)
    Great great great!
    Cheers.