Rename file from parent metadata - How to change the string?

The default data succession (creator - year - title) of PDF renaming feature is in the hidden preferences and is formulated as {%c - }{%y - }{%t{50}}.

1) What is the code that shall be used to change for instance (or introduce) the ISBN book number in the above string? I tried %i, and similar letters but without success.
The reason to leave the ISBN number in the file title is that many software book catalogues are able to scan folders and collect cover, reviews, and other metadata from Amazon and similar if the file contains the ISBN number.

Moreover, two further questions:
2) Will be possible in the future allow zotero to collect the cover of books, like many programs already do (Book label, allmybooks, etc)?
3) I would like to be able to drop the PDF file in Zotero and seeing it only linked and not copied within the Zotero folders. Is it possible to link the PDF file and make the rename feature working with the original file in the original folder?

Thank you in advance, and congratulations again for your great job.
  • 1) currently there are no other variables that you can use with the rename feature. Dan has mentioned that they are open to suggestions, though.

2) In theory that's possible already - it would just require a translator that also grabs the book image as an attachment - I don't see this as something that the core team currently has any resources for, but this could even be written as a third party plugin, along the lines of the Zotero Google Scholar Citations plugin:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/14667/

3) Drag&drop as a link has been requested a number of times and I think is planned in general, though I don't know specifics. You can already use the attachment menu to create a link to a pdf and the rename function already works for those links.
  • Thank you very much. Very clear answer. Just few observations:
    1) I hope zotero adds other field codes (in my case ISBN, but I could guess also the publisher, or a Customer field could be an interesting info for someone) that could be inserted in the string renaming (hidden) customization.
    2) A third party plugin would be great, in making Zotero a nice book cataloguer.
    3) In the MS Windows (but I guess also in Linux and OSX this is possible) the standard is that if you drag & Drop with Alt-Key pressed you get the link. I did not find any combination of this sort with Zotero, and would be great if there will be one.
    Thanks again.