Line Endings missing in imported Notes

In Windows XP, I imported my Endnote library which has some pretty extensive notes on some books and articles in the "Notes" fields. Unfortunately, they've been rendered pretty unreadable in Zotero because all the line endings within the notes fields are lost on import.

To export from Endnote, I selected RIS Output Style and then exported to a text file. The line endings, including those in the notes field, are clearly present in the text file when I open it in Notepad.

To troubleshoot, I used the "flip" utility (http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~craig/utility/flip) to check the line ending type
(UNIX) that Endnote exported, and tried switching it to DOS. This had no effect. I also tried switching it to MAC, but then the import didn't work at all.

Hope this can be fixed soon. Thanks for the great work otherwise!
  • *BUMP* Any word on whether this easy fix will be in the next version?
  • This works as expected in Beta 3. Note that technically the RIS spec doesn't provide for newlines in field content (since it allows for optional linebreaks after 70 characters), but since that's absurd, we're following EndNote's behavior and treating newlines in notes and abstracts as content.

Beta 3 is available for download from the home page (or via Tools->Add-ons->Find Updates for those who installed from zotero.org and not addons.mozilla.org).