difference between Zotero and other online storage sites

I attained my storage limits and look for solutions. My second backup is on my local external disk, another on dropbox.
I guess the main differences between syncing with Zotero online and backing up is that Zotero syncs with every entry (or after leaving ?) whereas backing up is just a manual operation that you do (or that you forget).
Any other differences ?
  • If you are using Zotero alone and with a single computer, then the online storage is of little value. The online storage is most valuable if you
    1) Use Zotero on multiple computers
    2) Share articles with group libraries. (This is really a killer application for Zotero.)
  • Right, I use it as a stand-alone app. So let's restate the question : What is the best online backup ?
  • Many people have used Dropbox. If you use Dropbox instead of syncing, you risk causing data corruption, but there should be no risk in using it if you use Zotero from only one computer.

Of course, such "live" online backup is no protection against accidental data deletion, so you may want to look into general backup software as well. But that question has nothing to do with Zotero per se.