Both PythonExt and MacWord integration plugins cause Firefox to crash

Hi all,

I would be really grateful for some help with this one, as I have a huge library of references and at the moment can't incorporate them into my write-ups..

I am currently working with Mac 10.6.4 and Word 2008.

Upon installation of the latest plugin for Word 2008 and the PythonExt, as recommended on the Zotero site, I find that Firefox will no longer open.. The icon bounces a bit in the tray, but then disappears again.

I can open in Safe Mode fine. I have tried Uninstalling both and just trying one of the two to determine which plugin is causing the problem, but it seems that both plugins are causing my Firefox to crash.

I've also tried installing older versions of the plug ins, but to no avail.

If this helps, this comes up in the Terminal...

Debugger() was called!
248-38:~ mjh1c09$ /users/mjh1c09/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/0ghlm4dg.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/__init__.py:54: DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been deprecated as of Python 2.6
self.message = message
/users/mjh1c09/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/0ghlm4dg.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/__init__.py:62: DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been deprecated as of Python 2.6
message = self.message
ERROR:xpcom:Obtaining the module object from Python failed.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/users/mjh1c09/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/0ghlm4dg.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/server/__init__.py", line 79, in NS_GetModule
import loader, module
File "/users/mjh1c09/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/0ghlm4dg.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/server/loader.py", line 39, in <module>
from xpcom import components, nsError
File "/users/mjh1c09/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/0ghlm4dg.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/components.py", line 231, in <module>
import shutdown
File "/users/mjh1c09/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/0ghlm4dg.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/shutdown.py", line 51, in <module>
class _ShutdownObserver:
File "/users/mjh1c09/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/0ghlm4dg.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/shutdown.py", line 52, in _ShutdownObserver
_com_interfaces_ = interfaces.nsIObserver
File "/users/mjh1c09/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/0ghlm4dg.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/components.py", line 103, in __getattr__
return self._get_one(attr)
File "/users/mjh1c09/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/0ghlm4dg.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/components.py", line 153, in _get_one
raise xpcom.COMException(nsError.NS_ERROR_NO_INTERFACE, "The interface '%s' does not exist" % (name,))
<class 'xpcom.Exception'>: -2147467262 (-2147467262)
eApplications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -safe-mod
Debugger() was called!
248-38:~ mjh1c09$ ERROR:xpcom:Obtaining the module object from Python failed.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/users/mjh1c09/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/0ghlm4dg.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/server/__init__.py", line 79, in NS_GetModule
import loader, module
File "/users/mjh1c09/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/0ghlm4dg.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/server/loader.py", line 39, in <module>
from xpcom import components, nsError
File "/users/mjh1c09/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/0ghlm4dg.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/components.py", line 231, in <module>
import shutdown
File "/users/mjh1c09/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/0ghlm4dg.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/shutdown.py", line 51, in <module>
class _ShutdownObserver:
File "/users/mjh1c09/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/0ghlm4dg.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/shutdown.py", line 52, in _ShutdownObserver
_com_interfaces_ = interfaces.nsIObserver
File "/users/mjh1c09/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/0ghlm4dg.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/components.py", line 103, in __getattr__
return self._get_one(attr)
File "/users/mjh1c09/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/0ghlm4dg.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/components.py", line 153, in _get_one
raise xpcom.COMException(nsError.NS_ERROR_NO_INTERFACE, "The interface '%s' does not exist" % (name,))
<class 'xpcom.Exception'>: -2147467262 (-2147467262)
eApplications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -safe-mod
Debugger() was called!

My other extensions are as follows, again, in case it helps..
Adblock Plus
Colourful Tabs
Cooliris
Download Statusbar
Hotmail Watcher
Hotmail AdZap
Tweaktube
Zotero 2.0.4
Zotero Scholar Citations 1.1

Apologies if this problem has been posted on another thread, but I've looked through and can't see one that matches my problem.

Would be really grateful for some help with this one.. Rather annoying- I've just spent the last two years recommending Zotero to people and now I can't use it myself!

Cheers,
Michael
  • Initially there was no 'report errors' thing available on Zotero, so I followed the recommendations and changed the Java settings mullarkey to 'true'..

Report ID is now 858464519

Furthermore, I've now got error reports from Firefox..

Error: fileName is undefined
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/file.js
    Line: 223

Error: Warning: unrecognized command line flag -foreground
    Source File: file:///Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/components/nsBrowserContentHandler.js
    Line: 708

Error: Invalid or missing translator metadata JSON object in 183.js
    Source File: file:///users/mjh1c09/Library/Application%20Support/Firefox/Profiles/0ghlm4dg.default/zotero/tmp/183.js
    Line: 0
  • Just seen this thread..
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/12592/

Tried to delete the files mentioned there.. It hasn't worked.

Mike
  • Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks,

Mike
  • I haven't seen this before. Is this new after upgrading? (If so, do you know what version of PythonExt and Zotero MacWord Integration you had installed previously?) Have you tried disabling all extensions but Zotero, Zotero MacWord Integration, and PythonExt and seeing if the problem still appears?
  • Good thinking Batman!

Just did that, and disabled everything else.. Now it works perfectly!
    I'll go through and discover which add-on is in conflict with Zotero and post it here, so that anyone who has this problem again can try it.