Sync problem with Zotero Storage

I just switched from WebDav (at MyDisk) to Zotero storage. When I click on the sync arrow, it keeps rotating - "Getting updated data from sync server." I've let it run for about 30 minutes but it remains at this message.

I tried closing and reopening Firefox, then syncing again. It now asks for my password, which has never happened before.

I notice now that sync has not happened for 48 days, though there never was an error message. I'm not sure if this is because MyDisk had a new policy about splitting folders with more than 1000 files, or because of an update to Firefox.
  • You have a large upload queued on the server. Give it time.
  • edited September 1, 2010
    You certainly should've seen a sync error icon before if it wasn't syncing, though.

http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/changes_not_syncing
  • Thanks, Dan, will do.
  • Yes, I thought the lack of an error message was odd too.

Everything has synced now, but there is an error message showing up now when I close and reopen Firefox - it seems that Zotero is no longer saving my password. Zotero used to save my password regardless of my Firefox privacy settings - has anything changed on that front?
  • Report ID 812234845; the password shows as saved in my Zotero Preferences.
  • You're seeing an error on-screen, or do you mean the one in the report? If the former, what is it?
  • Dan, this is what is happening:
    1 - When I open Firefox, I click on "Sync"
    2 - I am prompted for a password
    3 - the red error exclamation point appears, telling me that no password has been saved (the Report ID when I reported it was 812234845)
    4 - I go to preferences, my password shows as saved
    5 - I click on the sync arrow again, everything syncs normally. Everything works fine until I close Firefox, and then the same thing happens again.

Thanks again!
  • "I a prompted for a password" isn't really helpful—you need to include exact error messages when reporting problems, but I think I know what you mean.

This is likely an issue with either your Firefox login manager or some security software you have installed. If you have security software, try disabling it. If that doesn't work, you may need to clear the login manager database, which you can do by following these steps (last paragraph). Those steps include backing up and later reimporting your current ones, but if that's too complicated you can just back up and delete the files mentioned there, though you'll lose stored logins to sites. But this problem is likely to be affecting your ability to save logins from new sites anyway.