Can't successfully sync, and/or drag a collection into a group

I've been using zotero on two different computers for a project involving the downloading of many pdf files. It seems different on each one (both pcs with the same versions of zotero, both with pdftotext and pdfinfo). Computer #1 is at home, #2 at the office. From #1 I tried to download pdfs from the office server, but ended up with a complicated system where I had to make copies and add one by one, and it was very slow. So I gave up and went to the office. There, using computer #2, I could download pdfs from the server more easily. I'm now doing pdf downloading at the office, and other work at home; so far so good.
One problem is that syncing seems to take forever at #2 (office). Some files don't sync, the green arrow spins for the entire time I'm online and doesn't seem to finish. Some files are available back at #1 (home), some aren't.
At each computer, I log into zotero as myself, so presumably should have access to the same collections. But, files added in one computer don't always appear when next I log in at the other computer. The 'synch' preferences are the same on both computers.
A second issue happening today: at office (computer #2) I tried to drag a collection into a group. Nothing happens. if I open the collection and drag individual items into the group, they go, but they are not really linked the way I expect. i.e. file X is in collection ABC. I can't drag collection ABC into my group, so I open it and manually drag file X into the group. But now if I change document x, in either place - say, add a tag or a note - the change is not universal.
I have searched forums and questions and have learned quite a bit about zotero, and perhaps this question has been answered, but I haven't the stamina to keep looking. Help appreciated.