Rich Text in Notes

I'm sure somebody else has asked this, but I can't find any recently updated threads on it. Has Zotero been able to integrate rich text into the citation engines yet? I need to italicize a book title in an Article's citation.

For example, the journal article "Intercession in <i>The Testament of Moses </i>" needs both the quotation marks and the italics.

Has this been automated yet?
  • no - that's only implemented on the trunk - there is a thread in which Rintze describes a way to do this using a small word macro that he wrote - maybe you can use that information to find it or someone else knows which thread that is.
  • Just checking to see if anything simpler has been developed yet, or if the macro is still a necessary evil.
  • No macro needed anymore - simple mark-up (<i> <b> <sup> <sub> I believe) in Zotero titles is converted to Rich Text by the processor.
  • What about un-italisizing? So in the book title "Reading the <i>Testimony of Moses</i>" should show up in the footnotes with the "Reading the" in italics and the "Testimony of Moses" in standard font. Is there a simple mark up for no fomatting?
  • the simple mark up works for most things, btw, Thanks!
  • If the entire book title is italicized via the CSL style, any parts of the title that have italics markup will automatically flip back to standard font.
  • Hmm. That's not what I'm getting.

I generated a book report for my item zotero://report/items/0_4XTZ8SXR/html/report.html

The footnote reads:
    A Scholar, Reading The Testimony of Moses (Anyplace: Anyone, Anytime).

So the stuff in the markup isnt' coming through marked up, or in standard font.
  • I tried OpenOffice to see if that fixed it. It's a problem that shows up on the very first citation as well.
  • edited May 11, 2011
    Let's take a closer look then. I'll need two items of information to run a trial here. Please paste the following (separately) on gist.github.com, saving each as a public gist, and post the URL from the address bar to each back here:
    • A Zotero RDF export of the item that is not working
    • A copy of the CSL style code you are using
  • RDF: https://gist.github.com/967774
    CSL: https://gist.github.com/967778

I mostly use a modification of the SBL Format, but I just went with something really simple to see if things had gotten better. This is just the CSL for Chicago, Full note with Bibliography.
  • It works fine on a system with the latest CSL processor version. I think you may be getting bitten here by a bug in the processor that was fixed several weeks ago, on April 16th. Let's wait and see whether this comes right for your with the next release of Zotero (version 2.1.7).
  • I am new to Zotero (running version 2.1.8) and having this same problem. I need an article citation to appear in the bibliography of my Word Document as"

"Images of Kingship in Paradise Lost", where Paradise Lost is italicized.

How do I do this? Unfortunately, I am not good with computer language, and so was not able to follow this discussion about "mark ups" and "small word macro".

Imagine I have my Zotero database open and have just imported a record for an article that has Paradise Lost in the title. What do I do to make sure that it comes out italicized in my bibliography?
  • You can enter the title of the article as:
    Images of Kingship in <i>Paradise Lost</i>

Then it will show up correctly italicized in your bibliography. Much of the discussion above is from previous versions of Zotero when this wasn't yet so straightforward.
  • and to clarify the computer language:
    <i> and </i> is called "markup"
  • Thank you so much! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help (and the lesson in computer language).