Upgrade although Zotero 2.0 is already installed?

Hi there,

I had Zotero 2.0 installed on my notebook for a few months already, when I got the message "this is a major upgrade" a few days ago. The upgrade instructions linked in this message refer to the upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0. So, since 2.0 was already installed, I am confused what kind of upgrade this is supposed to be?
Since I am working on a major project, I am somewhat terrified by imagining that I'll have to update every single citation in my documents again as I had to when I initially upgraded to 2.0.

Is that a bug? Can it be fixed?

Thanks.
  • edited August 22, 2010
    That message only shows up (currently) when Zotero 2.0 encounters a 1.0 database. Can't really tell you more than that. Maybe you were using a custom data directory and the preference somehow got reset, such that Zotero is trying to upgrade the old 1.0 database in your Firefox profile directory?
  • Thanks. Ok. I had synced my database from this computer these days. Could that be the reason?

Do you reckon I should do the 'upgrade'? What is the risk?
  • No, a Zotero sync couldn't cause this.

Skip the upgrade and go to Tools->Add-ons->Extensions->Zotero->Preferences->Advanced and look at the data directory.
  • Did that. Changed it back from 'firefox directory' to the file on my hard disk. Restarted ff. Zotero still does not work. 'There was an error starting zotero'.
  • update. Zotero seems to work now after I restarted the computer. I'll keep you posted if this issue comes up again.