Word Insert Bib - Server threw an exception

I'm getting the following error in MS Word 2007 on Windows Vista when I try to Insert Bibliography from the Word addin.

"Zotero experienced an error updating your document. The server threw an exception."

I've updated my Firefox, my Zotero plugin, my Zotero Word addin.
I've also restarted my computer. I have also copied and pasted the entire contents into a new document but then I get the error "You must insert a citation before performing this operation" - so I added a new citation (which made me set the style) and I get the same error now.

I selected "Zotero Refresh" in MSWord and received the following error: "Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Unspecified error."

BTW, after I get these errors it seems to break MSWord, I can no longer select text, place the cursor with the mouse, or use the scroll bar. I can navigate the document using the keyboard.

When I create a new document, add a new reference, insert bibliography, it works fine.

What can I do to resolve this? If I can't resolve this I need a very fast work-around, this has become time sensitive. The document is rather large and it would be a significant problem to redo all of the citations.

Why doesn't copying the fields copy the citations? What could be wrong with this doc?

EDIT -

I just did some more testing. I copied and pasted my document, chapter by chapter into a new document. Everything worked fine until I got to the References page. This page never had any references on it, it was always blank. When I include that page at all - and this page is literally a blank page with the word 'References' at the top, I get the error.

If I copy this page on its own to a new doc, it works fine. If I remove this page from the original doc, it fails.
  • "The server threw an exception" and "Unspecified error" indicate that Word experienced some sort of error, but can't report why. There is a small chance this bug is fixed in the WinWord Integration 3.0 Branch XPI, although if you try this you should back up your documents and install WinWord Integration 3.0a5 manually once it is released.

If you post a report ID, we can figure out what function in Zotero triggered the error, although this may not help much. If you feel comfortable sending a document that produces the error (either your original file or a reduced version of it) to support@zot...org, we might be able to fix this.