Any ideas? Error while syncing

I've had this problem for a few days.
- Initially, sync would result in numerous conflicts. Whatever conflict resolution options I chose, they would re-appear on next sync. The conflict errors were all in a group library.
- To resolve this, I tried to overwrite server data with local data (via reset sync). Data deleted off server ok. However, instead of conflict errors, I now get high CPU use, 2 min firefox hang and then error report, below. While this is happening no data is being uploaded (since I monitor bandwith and no items appear on server). Error is:

sync.zotero.org : server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555

[JavaScript Error: "unexpected end of XML entity" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 3473 column: 23 source: "PARTIAL TEXT FROM NOTE HERE. &
"}]

- Report logged to 613660688
- to resolve, I've installed firefox (new profile) deleted all add ons, restarted multiple times, emptied trash, tried to delete note with errors and have checked java as recommended elsewhere on these forums. Same result.
- The problem occurs both at home and at work (same laptop)

Any ideas?? Is this a firefox problem. there have been some others with issues that seem similar to me:

[unrelated threads removed — D.S.]
  • If you're still receiving that message, you didn't delete the referenced item and empty the trash afterward. Pretty much as simple as that.
  • And the CVE error is entirely irrelevant.
  • Thanks Dan. I have removed the items that were the problem (there was a whole series of them) and it seems to be syncing without stalling now. Fingers crossed.

Do you know what causes the error to start with? Or is it just one of those random things.
  • If you can provide the URLs from which you retrieved some of the items in question, we can fix it.
  • The errors were on notes that I created in Zotero itself, though there is a chance that I originally created the RTFs in Devonthink Pro and copied over the text once I started using zotero.

The references associated with the notes were all manually created, so not drawn from the web at all.
  • You definitely got the notes from somewhere—it would be more or less impossible for you to have created them yourself. If you can reproduce the problem, let us know.
  • (Somewhere meaning somewhere other than typing them in Zotero—copying them from another program is a possibility.)
  • You mean created the errors myself? It must have been Devonthink then, as that is the only place I would have created notes that ended up in Zt. I could well have just imported the notes, easy to forget these things. I'll see if I can reproduce it for you.
  • Created the invalid (and possibly invisible unless you watch the cursor very closely while navigating with the arrow keys) characters that triggered the errors.