Zotero lost data

This is very worrying. I restarted firefox and and the zotero lost all the items I created in the last week - all the new items and folders created since I last restarted firefox have gone.
  • Shane — very sorry to hear that. This was in 1.0.0b2.r2? As I said in another thread, there were some flaws in r1 that could cause this in rare situations after other errors occurred, but we've put in some extra protections in r2 that should prevent this from happening... However, we'll audit the entire codebase before the next release to look for any other conditions under which this could occur.

While Zotero seems to be stable and reliable for the large majority of people, I will say that while we're in this beta cycle, it's a good idea to restart Firefox if you start to experience weird problems in Zotero—items not deleting, interface glitches, etc.—as this helps to reset everything and clear any errors that have occurred.
  • I just downloaded zotero, put in some collections (guess about 30 mins of work), and suddenly, there was an hourglass and zotero was not responding

So i closed firefox and on restarting zotero collections and the second window were empty. No "My Library" master collection, and zotero does not allow me to add any collections anymore ..

I had downloaded 1.0.0b2.r2
  • pankajsh_in — if "My Library" doesn't show up and Zotero stops working, it indicates a startup error. Your data should still be stored in the database. If you could please follow the steps on the Advanced Instructions section of the Reporting Bugs page (http://www.zotero.org/documentation/reporting_bugs), that'd help us determine what the problem is and help you restore the library and functionality.
  • Thanks Dan.

Here are the error comments from firefox.

Error: [Exception... "'Charset not provided to indexFile()' when calling method: [nsIFactory::createInstance]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 4" data: no]
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/include.js
    Line: 4

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "ServiceManager::GetService returned failure code:" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 4" data: no]

Error: Zotero has no properties
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/ingester/browser.js
    Line: 384

Source File: chrome://zotero/content/ingester/browser.js
    Line: 61

Error: [Exception... "'Charset not provided to indexFile()' when calling method: [nsIFactory::createInstance]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 4" data: no]
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/include.js
    Line: 4

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "ServiceManager::GetService returned failure code:" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 4" data: no]

Source File: chrome://zotero/content/itemPane.js
    Line: 48

Error: redeclaration of const NS_ERROR_MODULE_NETWORK
    Source File: chrome://browser/content/browser.js
    Line: 3

Source File: chrome://zotero/content/overlay.js
    Line: 69
  • edited September 5, 2007
    OK, looks like the importing process for a snapshot or text file attachment may have hit a snag before it determined the character set, and the fulltext indexer objected on the next restart.

I've put up a build of r2 with a patch that should let you start up (provided there are no other errors). If you could also pull up the URL chrome://zotero/content/test/test.xul in that build and send the output of the textarea to support@zot....org, that may help us figure out why the original attachment process failed.

You can install the patched version of r2 from here: http://www.zotero.org/download/zotero-1.0.0b2.r2-ft.xpi

Thanks for the help.