Timeline and Tags

Let me enter tags into the Highlight tools to show my ad-hoc categorizations. I added tags to items and entered those tags in the Highlight fields but the Timeline didn't highlight the items that had those tags.

For example: I had noted 20 some article about Second Life and I wanted to see how opinion s about it were trending. What I would like to be able to do is tag them Negative, Positive, Neutral, etc. And then highlight those tags in the Timeline to see which way articles were trending.
  • Timeline just highlights titles, which Zotero passes to it as raw data. It's possible the highlight fields could be make equivalent to quicksearches, but it'd take a good bit of hacking of the Timeline code.

I agree that it'd be useful, though, so ticket created for the future.
  • some suggestions for the Timeline in Zotero 2.0--thanks for all the fantastic work so far!!

1. Allow filters and highlights to use “tags” and “folders” **
    2. Allow filters and highlights to use source fields (e.g., publication, title, author, publisher, etc.)
    3. Allow multiple filters and highlights by using syntax (e.g., “Shakespeare; Bloom” would filter for “Shakespeare” & “Bloom”)
    **maybe these should be separate text-boxes, or use the same text-box but "T:Shakespeare" would filter for titles that include "Shakespeare" and entering "Shakespeare" in the text-box would filter for tags and folders that include "Shakespeare" ??

thanks again!
  • Ni! Yes, this would be VERY useful.

Many people to whom I present the timeline feature would rather have it filter and colour by exact tag match than by partial title match.

Tags are much more flexible and would let you manipulate the colours without messing with the entries' titles - which you really don't want to for so many reasons.

And I'm not sure quicksearch would fix this, can you do "exact tag match" with quicksearch?

In any case, specially if it is easier, perhaps we could have exact match for tags soon, letting you pick "tag"->"color" pairs?

Even better if we were not limited to 4 colours/matches, but could add as many as we need. In any case, 4 is quite limiting.

Thanks and cheers, ale
  • edited February 20, 2017
    This is a _very_ old thread. Zotero has been at version 4 for years and version 5 is days away from release.

I believe that tag colors are currently limited to 6 not 4. However that lower limit may be related to timeline. More recent threads have included discussions of tag colors; additional colors for tags; and tag colors for people with color-vision limitations.
  • Good to know!

Sorry but I did search the forums and this is the thread that came up.

But then, will version 5 allow us to color the timeline from tags? Or is it still limited to title? I believe that is the central issue here.

Thanks =)
  • no updates for the timeline for version 5 (not sure anyone is working on the timeline feature at all, to be honest)