Exported list of journals

An internal researcher from my library (the physical entity through which I can do things like interlibrary loans; not the zotero "My Library") was doing the annual inquiry into what journals our department uses. I couldn't find an easy way to directly access this list via zotero, but obviously the data was in the zotero database.

Since I suspect I'm not the only person who might have need for such functionality, here's what I ended up doing (note: I'm on OS X, but I don't think there would be many non-obvious changes.):

1. identified the location of my zotero.sqlite file

2. duplicated it (I didn't want to accidentally corrupt it) as zotero.sqlite.manual.bak (via Finder's duplicate and rename functionality)

3. downloaded Mike Titlebaum's SQLite Database Administrator Tool (http://saxmike.com/MySoftware/MySoftware.asp?Menu=MYSOFTWARE)

4. opened Mike's SQLite Db Admin tool and connected to the zotero.sqlite.manual.bak file

5. created a "New SQL"

6. ran the following SQL statement:

SELECT DISTINCT itemDataValues.value
    FROM itemDataValues
    JOIN itemData on itemDataValues.valueID = itemData.valueID
    WHERE itemData.fieldID = 12

7. "Export"ed the results which I could then email to my library researcher.

I hope this helps someone else. And at some point down the line, I would love to see an "export journals used list" as an integrated zotero feature.
  • Thanks for sharing. That's very useful indeed.
    I've generated "tags used list" as I needed it...
    SELECT DISTINCT tags.name
    FROM tags</code

(With SQLite Manager)