Zotero 10 unresponsive

edited today at 4:27pm
I have just bought a new Mac laptop, a quite powerful one, and installed Zotero 10 - with no plugins.

My gigantic library is hosted on a cloud drive and I use the solution with a 'storage' symlink: I have been using this setup for years and I have had no problems with it so far.

Currently, Zotero is processing all the attachments in this cloud drive. I can read many messages like this in Help -> Debug Output Logging -> View output:

(3)(+0172997): Marking attachment 1/JTTUDGY9 as changed (null != 1688235884000)
(4)(+0000000): Checking attachment file for item 1/JU5DX58A


The problem is that the UI not only becomes unresponsive, but it also interferes with Mac OS 27.0.1 (currently, I cannot close the dialog that appears when you click on the apple in the upper left corner). Only after closing Zotero I am able to close that dialog.

I know that my symlink-based solution is not "supported", but can I ask what Zotero is currently doing while marking ALL the attachment as changed and why?
  • dstillman Zotero Team
    edited 4 hours ago
    Not supported is not supported — we can't help you if you're using a symlinked 'storage' folder, particularly to a cloud storage folder.

    But I'm not even clear why you're doing this. If you're using Zotero file syncing, why would you be symlinking attachment files to a cloud drive? Zotero needs to hash local files to determine if they've changed, and if the files have been evicted by the cloud drive, that could force a download of all files in the cloud folder. Your debug log excerpt shows 173 seconds before processing a single file, possibly because it was being downloaded.

    If you don't intend to be using Zotero file syncing, you should uncheck it in the settings, and then it won't do this.
Sign In or Register to comment.