Sync Problems

HI:

I'm having a number of sync problems all at once (Zotero v. 2.0.3, FFX v. 3.6.6). The first is that Zotero seems to have stopped syncing items to my remote library (https://www.zotero.org/tkelly7/items). The last item that shows up was in March and I know I've added at least 100 items since then. Second, when the sync icon stops spinning, I get an error message telling me that Zotero needs to resolve contradictions between the local and remote versions of 10 items in my library -- always the same 10 items. I accept the changes, but the resolve message re-appears each time Z. syncs. Third, once I've accepted all the resolve messages, I get a series of messages that tell me Z. has added or changed tags on an item (about 20 different items, but always the same ones). For example:

The tag 'United States' has been added to and/or removed from items in multiple locations. It has been added to the following local items:

- History on Trial: Culture Wars and the Teaching of the Past (Nash)
- That Noble Dream: The "Objectivity Question" and the American Historical Profession (Novick)
- Lives for Sale (Jamison et al.)
- The Exploitation of Trafficked Women (Newman and United States)

Once I accept all these changes, the sync icon says "upload accepted, waiting for sync server". Then "getting updated data from the sync server." Then it does it all again -- same annoying messages.

I'm clearly caught in some sort of a loop here that I can't figure out how to make stop.
This has been going on for about 2 weeks now. Any clues what is going on here?

Oh, and I created a new group -- which showed up online -- but none of the items in the group library is showing up online.

Mills
  • edited July 12, 2010
    This is all just the same issue—you're getting a sync error that's preventing the sync from completing.

http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/changes_not_syncing

Provide a Report ID for the sync error and we'll take a look.
  • Now it won't sync at all. The sync icon has been spinning for hours and just says: Getting updated data from sync server. I've let it run all afternoon, and have rebooted once just in case that was the problem. This means I can't give you a Report ID...
  • edited July 12, 2010
    At last I got an error -- it says Conflicts have suspended automatic syncing. Click on sync icon to resolve them. Then it spun some more. Then I get the 10 resolve contradiction messages, then the 43 "tag added" messages, then it starts trying to sync again. Then it says "upload accepted" then "getting updated data", then it started all over again and we did the merging, then the new tags, then it started all over again, then, finally it gave me this report ID:

It also gave me this message using the Firefox dialog box: Please perform a full sync in the Sync->Reset pane of the Zotero preferences. (Report ID: 6cec3501)

So I am now running a full sync in the Sync->Reset pane. That threw me back into the same loop of resolve/re-tag. That generated the following error ID:

and then this one:

Mills
  • Thanks Dan. Do I upload only the zotero.sqlite file to the Repair Tool?
  • That fixed it. Thanks!