PDF Library Import Problems
My apologies if this has been noted elsewhere here. My AI assistant assures me it has not, and my cursory search confirmed it.
I set up a new Zotero installation today and added my existing pdf library (Add Entry / Link to File). My collection contains close to 6000 pdfs, so I expected this to take a substantial moment. I did not expect what happened.
I marked all the files in the selector window, clicked import, and nothing happened. No feedback, no indication of any activity. Odd, I thought, must have done something wrong, and did it again. This repeated twice. Then finally entries did show up, metadata were being loaded and I was briefly happy and content. Then entries started duplicating and triplicating, and the list kept growing until it contained, in hindsight somewhat expectedly, every paper a total of four times. During all this, the metadata import made the library display jump around, making it quite a bit harder to figure out what was going on.
I then canceled this cursed import of 24000 files, moved the detritus to the trash and started a fresh one. I then found the following to be true:
* There is no GUI feedback I could see to show that importing began or is in progress until the file list is completely processed
* This processing is bafflingly slow. There were just under four files added every second. This is before the metadata importing even started, which of course is much slower.
* The visible library list is not updated during this time at all. I can however see the growing list when I change to a subsection (e.g. Entries without collections) and then back to the main list
* The then visible list contains no metainformation at all. Specifically, there then are a lot of entries that only show a timestamp, title is empty
* Adding the files again, as I did above, then adds duplicates to this invisible queue. Maybe a check against already linked files would make sense here?
* The download metadata-window only pops up once the initial import is completed. At this point the entry list populates and now shows the filenames in the title field
Overall, this does not seem like ideal behavior to me, and should probably be changed ;)
Thanks for an awesome piece of software. Cheers.
I set up a new Zotero installation today and added my existing pdf library (Add Entry / Link to File). My collection contains close to 6000 pdfs, so I expected this to take a substantial moment. I did not expect what happened.
I marked all the files in the selector window, clicked import, and nothing happened. No feedback, no indication of any activity. Odd, I thought, must have done something wrong, and did it again. This repeated twice. Then finally entries did show up, metadata were being loaded and I was briefly happy and content. Then entries started duplicating and triplicating, and the list kept growing until it contained, in hindsight somewhat expectedly, every paper a total of four times. During all this, the metadata import made the library display jump around, making it quite a bit harder to figure out what was going on.
I then canceled this cursed import of 24000 files, moved the detritus to the trash and started a fresh one. I then found the following to be true:
* There is no GUI feedback I could see to show that importing began or is in progress until the file list is completely processed
* This processing is bafflingly slow. There were just under four files added every second. This is before the metadata importing even started, which of course is much slower.
* The visible library list is not updated during this time at all. I can however see the growing list when I change to a subsection (e.g. Entries without collections) and then back to the main list
* The then visible list contains no metainformation at all. Specifically, there then are a lot of entries that only show a timestamp, title is empty
* Adding the files again, as I did above, then adds duplicates to this invisible queue. Maybe a check against already linked files would make sense here?
* The download metadata-window only pops up once the initial import is completed. At this point the entry list populates and now shows the filenames in the title field
Overall, this does not seem like ideal behavior to me, and should probably be changed ;)
Thanks for an awesome piece of software. Cheers.
Upgrade Storage