Zotero freezes when using backspace in notes on Mac (workaround)
Hi, I have an issue when writing notes in Zotero. Sometimes when I write something and then press backspace multiple times, it freezes and I'm forced to quit. It does not always happen. I had this in the previous version as well, and it still happened in troubleshooting mode.
I'm using Zotero 10.0.5 on an Apple Silicon Mac, with macOS 15.6.1.
When it happened again, I took a sample using Activity Monitor. It showed the main thread stuck in a macOS accessibility request, going through NSAccessibilityGetObjectForAttributeUsingLegacyAPI into XUL.
I found a similar report here:
https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/129829/trouble-since-update-zotero-8
Setting accessibility.force_disabled to 1 and restarting Zotero worked perfectly for me so far. I wanted to share it in case someone else has the same issue.
To change it, go to Zotero → Settings → Advanced → Config Editor, search for accessibility.force_disabled, note the current value, and change it to 1. Then quit and reopen Zotero.
This disables accessibility support in Zotero, so it can affect VoiceOver and other assistive tools. You can undo it by restoring the previous value and restarting. I don't know if it's the same underlying bug as in the other thread, or whether this will help everyone.
I have the full sample available if it would help investigate.
I'm using Zotero 10.0.5 on an Apple Silicon Mac, with macOS 15.6.1.
When it happened again, I took a sample using Activity Monitor. It showed the main thread stuck in a macOS accessibility request, going through NSAccessibilityGetObjectForAttributeUsingLegacyAPI into XUL.
I found a similar report here:
https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/129829/trouble-since-update-zotero-8
Setting accessibility.force_disabled to 1 and restarting Zotero worked perfectly for me so far. I wanted to share it in case someone else has the same issue.
To change it, go to Zotero → Settings → Advanced → Config Editor, search for accessibility.force_disabled, note the current value, and change it to 1. Then quit and reopen Zotero.
This disables accessibility support in Zotero, so it can affect VoiceOver and other assistive tools. You can undo it by restoring the previous value and restarting. I don't know if it's the same underlying bug as in the other thread, or whether this will help everyone.
I have the full sample available if it would help investigate.
Upgrade Storage