Windows Hello passkey registration fails with HTTP 500
OS: Windows 11
Browsers tested: Firefox and Chrome
I'm unable to register a Windows Hello passkey from the Security settings on zotero.org. I have reproduced the problem in both Firefox and Chrome.
**Steps to reproduce**
1. Sign in to zotero.org.
2. Go to Settings → Security → Passkeys & Security Keys.
3. Choose to register a new passkey.
4. Select Windows Hello.
5. Complete the Windows Hello prompt successfully.
**What happens**
The Windows Hello dialog completes and closes normally. Zotero then displays:
> Couldn’t create a passkey. Try again, or skip for now.
In browser DevTools, the subsequent POST to:
`https://www.zotero.org/settings/setverificationpreference`
returns:
`500 Internal Server Error`
Response body:
`{"success":false}`
I get the same failure in both Firefox and Chrome.
I already have an iPhone security key registered with my Zotero account (“Security Key on iPhone”, registered 8/28/2026), and that credential continues to work normally. Windows Hello passkeys also work normally for other websites on this Windows 11 machine.
**Expected result**
After completing the Windows Hello prompt, I expected the new Windows Hello passkey to be registered with my Zotero account.
Please let me know if there is any additional browser-side diagnostic information I can provide.
Browsers tested: Firefox and Chrome
I'm unable to register a Windows Hello passkey from the Security settings on zotero.org. I have reproduced the problem in both Firefox and Chrome.
**Steps to reproduce**
1. Sign in to zotero.org.
2. Go to Settings → Security → Passkeys & Security Keys.
3. Choose to register a new passkey.
4. Select Windows Hello.
5. Complete the Windows Hello prompt successfully.
**What happens**
The Windows Hello dialog completes and closes normally. Zotero then displays:
> Couldn’t create a passkey. Try again, or skip for now.
In browser DevTools, the subsequent POST to:
`https://www.zotero.org/settings/setverificationpreference`
returns:
`500 Internal Server Error`
Response body:
`{"success":false}`
I get the same failure in both Firefox and Chrome.
I already have an iPhone security key registered with my Zotero account (“Security Key on iPhone”, registered 8/28/2026), and that credential continues to work normally. Windows Hello passkeys also work normally for other websites on this Windows 11 machine.
**Expected result**
After completing the Windows Hello prompt, I expected the new Windows Hello passkey to be registered with my Zotero account.
Please let me know if there is any additional browser-side diagnostic information I can provide.
Upgrade Storage