Moving Zotero to a new work computer – license and reinstallation information
My work computer is being replaced, and I have been asked to save the following information for all installed software before the replacement:
* Program name (official name, not nickname)
* Serial number / license key / license file
* Media or URL from which the program can be reinstalled on the new computer
* Reinstallation instructions/manual
I use Zotero and would like to make sure I have everything I need before my current computer is replaced.
Could someone clarify:
1. Does Zotero require a serial number, license key or license file, or is the software simply downloaded and installed again?
2. What is the correct official URL for downloading/reinstalling Zotero?
3. What is the recommended procedure for transferring my existing Zotero library, including attached PDFs, to the new computer?
4. Are there any settings, plugins, citation styles or other files that I should make sure to preserve before the old computer is wiped?
5. Is there an official Zotero guide for moving Zotero to a new computer that I can provide to our IT department?
Thanks!
Maria
* Program name (official name, not nickname)
* Serial number / license key / license file
* Media or URL from which the program can be reinstalled on the new computer
* Reinstallation instructions/manual
I use Zotero and would like to make sure I have everything I need before my current computer is replaced.
Could someone clarify:
1. Does Zotero require a serial number, license key or license file, or is the software simply downloaded and installed again?
2. What is the correct official URL for downloading/reinstalling Zotero?
3. What is the recommended procedure for transferring my existing Zotero library, including attached PDFs, to the new computer?
4. Are there any settings, plugins, citation styles or other files that I should make sure to preserve before the old computer is wiped?
5. Is there an official Zotero guide for moving Zotero to a new computer that I can provide to our IT department?
Thanks!
Maria
Upgrade Storage
https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/transferring_a_library
Plugins and settings aren't preserved. Those are stored in the Zotero profile folder, but we don't provide guidance on that. (It's just the Firefox profile system, though.)
Custom citation styles are stored in the Zotero data directory, so if you copy that in its entirety (Option B on the linked page), those will be preserved.