APA7 second edition two dates in-text citation?

I am using the second revised edition of a 1975 book, of which the second edition was published in 1997 by a different publisher, and when I put that information in Zotero, the in-text references became 1975/1997. The online APA7 reference guide states it should be one date for in-text citations.
  • Okay thank you then the university APA style guide was wrong. Another of my sources has two editions but the second has revised in the title and I need both editions due to the first edition being widely cited but the second having some useful updates. I am wondering if similar would apply to the second edition of this book.
  • There are no clear-cut rules -- you'd often cite 2nd editions entirely without the original date. I don't have the APA manual here, but Chicago says
    Normally, these may be cited without reference to the original edition. But if the original publication details—particularly the date—are relevant, they may be included.
    I'd expect the same to apply here. Just don't include the original date if you don't judge it as important.
Sign In or Register to comment.