PDF attachments are no longer saved automatically when saving items with Zotero Connector
Hi,
Zotero used to automatically save PDFs together with bibliographic items when I saved papers using Zotero Connector, but this has recently stopped working.
The bibliographic item is saved correctly, but the PDF attachment is not added. When I double-click the saved item in Zotero, it opens the article webpage instead of opening a PDF in the Zotero reader.
This is not limited to one article or one website. I have reproduced the problem with many papers, including:
- Google Scholar results with publicly available PDFs
- Direct publisher/article pages such as J-STAGE, where the PDF is openly available and can be downloaded manually
I have already confirmed that:
- “Automatically attach associated PDFs and other files when saving items” is enabled in Zotero.
- Zotero Connector reports that Zotero is available.
- The same problem occurs in both Naver Whale (Chromium-based) and Google Chrome.
- I reset translators.
- I removed and reinstalled Zotero Connector.
- I restarted Zotero and the browsers.
- The PDFs are publicly accessible.
The problem is consistently reproducible.
Debug ID: D2051925424
After reinstalling the Connector, the Connector’s Advanced → Report Errors section also shows the following JavaScript error:
“offscreenTranslate: Attempting to access a translate without initializing it first for tab”
I am not sure whether this error is related to the PDF attachment problem.
System information:
- Zotero: 9.0.6
- Zotero Connector: 5.0.215
- macOS: Tahoe 26.6.2
- Mac: MacBook Air 13-inch, M4
- Browsers tested: Naver Whale and Google Chrome
Please let me know if you need a new Debug ID generated after reinstalling the Connector.
Thank you.
Zotero used to automatically save PDFs together with bibliographic items when I saved papers using Zotero Connector, but this has recently stopped working.
The bibliographic item is saved correctly, but the PDF attachment is not added. When I double-click the saved item in Zotero, it opens the article webpage instead of opening a PDF in the Zotero reader.
This is not limited to one article or one website. I have reproduced the problem with many papers, including:
- Google Scholar results with publicly available PDFs
- Direct publisher/article pages such as J-STAGE, where the PDF is openly available and can be downloaded manually
I have already confirmed that:
- “Automatically attach associated PDFs and other files when saving items” is enabled in Zotero.
- Zotero Connector reports that Zotero is available.
- The same problem occurs in both Naver Whale (Chromium-based) and Google Chrome.
- I reset translators.
- I removed and reinstalled Zotero Connector.
- I restarted Zotero and the browsers.
- The PDFs are publicly accessible.
The problem is consistently reproducible.
Debug ID: D2051925424
After reinstalling the Connector, the Connector’s Advanced → Report Errors section also shows the following JavaScript error:
“offscreenTranslate: Attempting to access a translate without initializing it first for tab”
I am not sure whether this error is related to the PDF attachment problem.
System information:
- Zotero: 9.0.6
- Zotero Connector: 5.0.215
- macOS: Tahoe 26.6.2
- Mac: MacBook Air 13-inch, M4
- Browsers tested: Naver Whale and Google Chrome
Please let me know if you need a new Debug ID generated after reinstalling the Connector.
Thank you.
Upgrade Storage
Failures on other sites would be unrelated, and we'd have to see a Debug ID for those to see more.
It seems that the remaining reproducible issue is Google Scholar, which you mentioned is due to a site change. I’ll wait for the fix. Thank you!