pythonext crashes Mac Firefox 3.6.6 on startup

Upon downloading and installing zotero, and then pythonext 2.6.2 from zotero website my Firefox does not start anymore (Mac OSX 10.6.4, FF3.6.6).

The following error occurs:

/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -p
/users/Radek/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/lqxcpze9.radek/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/__init__.py:54: DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been deprecated as of Python 2.6
self.message = message
/users/Radek/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/lqxcpze9.radek/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/__init__.py:62: DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been deprecated as of Python 2.6
message = self.message
ERROR:xpcom:Obtaining the module object from Python failed.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/users/Radek/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/lqxcpze9.radek/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/server/__init__.py", line 79, in NS_GetModule
import loader, module
File "/users/Radek/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/lqxcpze9.radek/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/server/loader.py", line 39, in <module>
from xpcom import components, nsError
File "/users/Radek/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/lqxcpze9.radek/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/components.py", line 231, in <module>
import shutdown
File "/users/Radek/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/lqxcpze9.radek/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/shutdown.py", line 51, in <module>
class _ShutdownObserver:
File "/users/Radek/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/lqxcpze9.radek/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/shutdown.py", line 52, in _ShutdownObserver
_com_interfaces_ = interfaces.nsIObserver
File "/users/Radek/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/lqxcpze9.radek/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/components.py", line 103, in __getattr__
return self._get_one(attr)
File "/users/Radek/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/lqxcpze9.radek/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/components.py", line 153, in _get_one
raise xpcom.COMException(nsError.NS_ERROR_NO_INTERFACE, "The interface '%s' does not exist" % (name,))
<class 'xpcom.Exception'>: -2147467262 (-2147467262)

On Firefox 3.5.10, the first error occurs as well, but then Firefox manages to start:

~/Desktop/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -p
[Radek ~]$ Registering '@mozilla.org/module-loader/python;1' (libpybootstrap.dylib)
Registering '@python.org/pyXPCOMExtensionHelper;1' (pyXPCOMExtensionHelper.py)
/users/Radek/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/v1iv55x3.radek5-3.5/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/__init__.py:54: DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been deprecated as of Python 2.6
self.message = message
Registering '@mozilla.org/module-loader/python;1' (libpybootstrap.dylib)
Registering '@python.org/pyXPCOMExtensionHelper;1' (pyXPCOMExtensionHelper.py)

and then things look fine (but again, it's FF 3.5.10).

Thanks,
Radek
  • Just an update: I'm using Zotero 2.0.3, and the pythonext version that disables my firefox is pythonext-2.6.2.20100203-Darwin_universal.xpi.

BTW going to the FF profile directory and deleting

extensions.cache
    extensions.ini
    extensions.rdf

does not restore FF functionality (still crash on startup). Creating a new profile is necessary.

Zotero plugin is not necessary to reproduce the crash, i.e., I create a new profile, go to zotero website and download pythonext and… so much for my FF profile.
  • Give the official pythonext build a try and see if that works. If not, you'll probably want to file a bug report at the pythonext site—my familiarity with the pythonext codebase is only superficial.
  • The official pythonext build did not work, I submitted a bug report https://www.mozdev.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=22996