Improve error reporting for NS_ERROR_VALUE nsifile.remove

Hi I got this error
NS_ERROR_VALUE nsifile.remove

Error explanation and solution:
I have zotero in computer A (office) and B ( home). I have them synced through a Webdav server. I lefy many pdfs stored in Zotero open in computer A. I went home (computer B) and modified some of them. When I got back to computer A (office). I go a sync error.
Zotero was trying to overwrite the pdf file but could not because they were open.
So I just needed to close the all pdf files and click on sync button.
This is typical error that at the end of the day you solve it by restarting the computer. But this could be improved as many people cannot afford to restart the computer....

Suggested improvement.
No only report "NS_ERROR_VALUE nsifile.remove", but point to the file(s) that could not be updated (overwritten).

Thanks a lot to all developpers! Zotero is great!

Aleix
  • Zotero actually does generally give a better error message when it can't overwrite a file, but the error message shouldn't be NS_ERROR_FAILURE to begin with—it should be NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED. We have seen people report this and plan to display a message for NS_ERROR_FAILURE as well, but, just out of curiosity, is this on a local hard drive or an external/network drive (or some other unusual configuration)?
  • Hi,
    Maybe it is because instead of overwriting it tries to removes the old version and download the newer document version? This is just speculative as I do not know how what's "inside" the box.

Regarding my config:
    I am on a windows XP machine. I work on a local Harddrive with "standard" settings. My zotero data directory is "C:\Documents and Settings\aa596\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\d547bf9n.default\zotero"
    Although "My Documents" are redirected to D:\WORK

cheers

Aleix
  • No, it should still give an access denied error—NS_ERROR_FAILURE is a generic error that occurs when Firefox encounters a situation it hasn't been programmed to understand.

But it appears to happen with some configurations, so we'll adjust Zotero to display the same (friendlier) message.