sync versioning

I was not able to find anything on a search for this, but I could have really used sync versioning today. In setting up a new hard drive after a crash, I accidentally put an older version of my zotero database online, erasing the past three weeks' work. I hope I have a backup on a different hard drive, but I'm not positive it is not corrupted, as I had to retrieve it off the disk that went bad (fingers crossed). It would be a great boon if there were backups besides the local database backups of the sort: last save, one day old, one week old, one month old. Or do like dropbox and mozy and keep 30 days of old versions, perhaps through some kind of difference versioning if space is an issue. I used to keep just such mozy and dropbox versions, but mozy crashed badly, precipitating the hard disk problems , and I switched to ubuntu from windows and had not got around to reassigning the zotero dbase in ubuntu to a dropbox enabled folder yet. :(
  • Generally speaking, syncing an old copy of a local database shouldn't cause server data to be overwritten, unless you manually choose Restore to Zotero Server. The local database should be updated with the server data (or you should get conflict warnings that let you choose the version to keep).
  • Somewhere in all the setting up of ubunutus and windows, I forgot to set up zotero to sync at some point, so the server was not up to date, and the only up to date version was the local one on the crashed hard disk. Fortunately, I was able to retrieve it :) and now sync is up to date, it is located in the dropbox path again, and the hard drive is new.

So versioning would not have helped me in this instance, but I still think it would be a useful feature.
  • I agree versioning would be very interesting. Specially for group working. With versioning I would be much more confident to give write access to collaborators as we do in subversion repositories.