New to Zotero, trouble syncing Library from another computer

I'm at home on my laptop, installed newest version of Zotero, thought that if I simply followed directions, I could tap into the Library I have on my work computer. Using same login. Pardon me if this has been discussed already; my search terms did not show it.

Any ideas for me? I am willing to call someone to help walk me through it. I have a writing deadline. Thanks!
  • it's unclear from your description what's going on.
    Did you sync your computer at work?
    Can you see your library online (by clicking on "My Library" on the top left).

There is no live or phone support for Zotero. Also, today and tomorrow are holidays in the US, where Zotero developers and many power-users work.
  • Hi, Adam I am not sure I did sync my computer at work. That's where I started my account and built a Library. It did not occur to me I could sync something to itself, my understanding of the word was that when I went to my home computer I would sync IT to the original. A Zotero user sat with me and I cannot remember whether or not we synced the one at work to itself or not. It doesn't sound familiar and it's hard to know what questions to ask of someone who knows it so well they assume you do, too!

I know there's no live support, I just thought someone might have had the same experience as I. Do you know how I could get in touch with a developer or power-user on Tuesday? I'm in the US, I just cannot afford to stop working today. I think I'll read and take notes the old fashioned way.

Thanks again.
  • if you did not sync no power user or developper can help you. Its as simple as that. syncing is done automatically after you have created an account and filled out the respective fields under preferences/sync and then clicked the checkbox "sync automatically".

If you have done this at work, simply do the same at home and there you go. You can also manually sync by clicking on the green round arrow in the top right corner of zotero.
    If this does not work, you haven't synced at work. If you did not think, go to your office, login, sync and then sync at home.
  • Then answer question #2: Can you see your library online? (by clicking on "My Library" on the top left).
    If it's empty or almost empty, you didn't sync - if you can get to your work computer today you can just do that by clicking on the sync logo. Otherwise you're stuck until you get back to the office.

If you can see your library online you're good to go - come back here and we'll try to fix the problem.

You sync to and from the Zotero server, not directly between your computers. Zotero can't just access your data on your work computer - that'd be a terrible security risk!

Devs and power users read along here all the time, but less so on holidays.
  • If you did not think, go to your office, login, sync and then sync at home.
    :-) I think that's supposed to be "If you did not sync" - for Germans like miggug and me those sound the same ;-).
    Otherwise, to avoid confusion, we're both saying the same thing using slightly different words.
  • Great, thanks, everyone!! I did not sync OR think. HA! Thanks for pointing out the similarity in German pronunciation, Adam. Before I had a chance to read the last few comments, I realized I needed to both think and sync and went in to work to do it here. I see now that it was never done. My workmate must have told me months ago to do it and I figured I'd catch up with it later. How little I understood what that meant! However, on doing the procedure, I only saw the green sync arrow turn a little bit. It seemed a bit too fast but I saw no error message. Before I go home, can anyone tell me if there's a way to test as to whether it really synced or not? I would rather not go back and forth anymore on a supposed holiday! Many thanks in advance
  • Can you see your library online? (by clicking on "My Library" on the top left).

If you see your collections on the side and your items in the middle you have synced succesfully. Not that you probably did not sync the attached files, only the data - but usually that's enough for work.
  • Thanks, Adam. I do see both here at work but thought I could see them before. On the left side I see the folder icon that opens to reveal the sources or titles I stored there, while at the same time I see the list in the middle. So I guess I'll go home now and hope it works there, too!
  • nono - you're looking in the wrong place.
    Not in Zotero.
    On the web.
    Click on "My Library" on the top left _of this webpage_
  • well, in the meantime i went home and it worked!!! so "god takes care of drunks and children," i guess that saying is true. though i am neither one, it's a figure of speech. and when it comes to using zotero, i'm a beginner. to everyone who contributed, thanks for taking the time, and especially adam!