APA 6th editon

I am wondering if there will be an update for APA 6th edition.
  • The current version is APA 6th - I thought it was clearly labeled? - are there any problems?
  • edited July 1, 2010
    It is labeled and I installed the packet from http://www.zotero.org/styles/apa?install=1. The problem is that the date field is still appearing for electronic articles.

Do I need to update MS Word 2007 plug-in also. I have refreshed the fields, but nothing happens in MS word 2007.
  • Do I need to update MS Word 2007 plug-in also. I have refreshed the fields, but nothing happens in MS word 2007.
  • that's a judgement call I made - APA says to "Only use retrieval dates if the source could change" - I decided to have it give retrieval dates for all websites - but not for any other electronic source (i.e. online journal, book, report, newspaper).
    I'm aware of course that many webpages are stable, but it seemed to make more sense to include extra information (which the user could then delete) than to leave potentially necessary information out.

I can tell you how to take it out of the curent APA style (very easy) and I'm open for suggestions for improvement of the style on the repository.
  • and while you should always keep Zotero and plugins updated, styles won't look different with an older version.
  • edited July 1, 2010
    Very valid points. I like your thinking, but the problem I am having is with my professor. Is there a way to turn it on an off, like a toggle switch. Maybe inside the interface or if a pop-up dialogue box appears for each web citation in MS Word. Thanks for your time and openness.
  • no, no toggle options etc. That would require changes in Zotero or the plugin, not just the style and I don't think those are likely to happen soon.

As I said, you can take the access date out of the style entirely:
    First see here for general instructions:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/csl_simple_edits

Then find this part in your style:
    <choose>
    <if type="webpage">
    <group>
    <text term="retrieved" text-case="capitalize-first" suffix=" "/>
    <date variable="accessed" suffix=", ">
    <date-part name="month" suffix=" "/>
    <date-part name="day" suffix=", "/>
    <date-part name="year"/>