zotero automatically replacing citations in Mac Word 2008 footnotes

I'm having a weird problem. I'm working on a revision to an article in Mac Word 2008, with the latest version of the Zotero plugin installed. As part of the revision, I'm adding some new citations to old footnotes. In several cases, when I've added the new citation, the old one has been *replaced* by the new one.

That is, the old note would have read: "See X, Y, and Z."

And I want the new note to read: "See X, Y, and Z. For more info on this matter also check A and B."

But instead it's reading: "See A and B. For more info on this matter also check A and B."

Luckily I have a printout of the old file so I can fix this manually, I hope. But it's obviously pretty infuriating. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Could you describe what you're doing exactly to allow replication of this problem?
    I.e. a step by step of how you are trying to change/add these citations.
  • Adam, thanks. I'll try. Unfortunately I only noticed it in the aftermath, but here's what I did:

I'm using Mac Word 2008 with the newest versions of Zotero and the Word plugin.

As far as I can tell, the problem only occurred in this situation: when I had a footnote that already had a citation using multiple sources, to which I wanted to add a new sentence and citation using multiple sources. Adding a single citation seemed to be fine, and former single citations did not get replaced either.

When I went to edit that footnote, I would just type in my new sentence, then go to "Add Citation," then choose "multiple sources," and add my two new sources (A and B). Then click OK.

Then the screen flicked quite rapidly--it looked like it was showing dialog boxes, but they came and went much too fast for me to see what they said.

And then I noticed that instead of having X, Y, and Z in one multiple citation and A and B in another, I now had two sets of A and B.

Does that help?
  • OK that's not good.
    Can you try to replicate this in any way? E.g. see if this occurs in a new file, too, when you try to add to multiple citations in footnotes?
  • Adam--

I'm away from my home computer now, but I'll try tonight or tomorrow morning and let you know. Thanks.
  • Adam--

I can't replicate it in a new file--I just tried. And I also fixed up the two footnotes in the original document where I noticed it happening, and so far they seem to be stable. So perhaps it was just a weird one-time fluke--either I hit a key accidentally and made something bad happen, or perhaps it was an effect of switching to the new plugin for the first time and now things have stabilized? I guess if you don't hear from anyone else that this has happened, you can probably chalk it up to user error in some way.

Best,

Catherine