Zotero says "item no longer exists in your database" after hitting "insert citation" icon

I get this error message immediately upon hitting the "insert citation" icon in my Word 2007 document:
"This item no longer exists in your Zotero database. Do you want to select a substitute?"
I haven't selected an item; in fact, Zotero won't let me get that far. All I've done is tried to insert a citation in my document. As soon as I get this error message, Zotero jumps to and highlights the first citation in the document. I am using Zotero 2.0.3 and Winword integration 3.0a4.
  • Hey,
    this sounds similar to the problem I'm experiencing (see "Citing on different computers"). Are you also working on different computers or did that problem occur when working with only one computer? Was the file you are working with edited only on that computer or was it moved between different computers?
    Take care!
  • Thanks for the commiseration! No, neither the file nor the Zotero are on different computers. I use the Zotero synced to the website and have been using the same computer the entire time I've worked on this Word doc. Up until yesterday, I was able to add citations to the document, but now today, I can't.
  • LWittern - for a start, could you make a back-up copy of the document and then try re-selecting a citation for citation number one?
    What I want to know is if Zotero is not finding _any_ of your citations or just not the first one in your document. If it's the latter, just replace the first citation and continue working - you probably just deleted the wrong duplicate in Zotero. If it's the latter we'll need to figure out what's going on.

The reason this comes up when you try inserting a citation is that Zotero updates your document every time you insert a citation.
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I made another copy of the document but the same thing happened. So, I tried deleting the first citation and reinserting it. When I did that, I got the same error message and now my second citation is highlighted.
  • Addendum to earlier message: when I create a brand-new document and try to insert this citation, it works fine. So, there must be something wrong with my original Word document?
  • Hmm - weird -
    Two possiblities - something is wrong with your Zotero database or something is wrong with that document.
    Do you have another old document you created with Zotero?
    If so - could you make a copy of it and try inserting a citation?

Also, in the advanced tab of the Zotero preferences (i.e. not in the word plugin but in the main Zotero) could you check database integrity?

Anything you've done recently that could have triggered this? Back-ups, imports-exports etc.?

If this isn't the case across documents, try this:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents

As for your Addendum - that doesn't mean much - what would be relevant is to see how Zotero sees old citations.
  • Thanks again. I followed the troubleshooting steps outlined in the URL you supplied above and got as far as the suggestion that I send a report with my error messages to the developers. I have done so and this is the number:
    So far, both copying the file itslef and copying and pasting the contents has not worked. The suggestion that I delete the bibliography did not work either as I got the same error message when I tried to change the output format from full Chicago with bibliography to note without bibliography. So, I am still stumped.
  • Did you have Zotero 1.0 libraries that you upgraded to Zotero 2.0 on multiple computers? Did you ever export/import your library?

See the warning on the 2.0 page (which is also on the plugin installation page):
    Documents used with the Zotero 1.0 plugins must be refreshed and resaved with the Zotero 2.0 plugins on the same computer on which they were previously used with 1.0, and that Zotero database must then be used as the source for Zotero 2.0 syncing. If you first refresh them with a Zotero 2.0 plugin on a different, synced computer, you may end up with mismatched citations.
  • I have the same problem but it is a little bit different I'm still in Zotero 1.0. I was in zotero 2.0 but because my Word version is too old I couldn't use a word processor so I uninstalled everything and take my old database. After that (1 month ago) everything was ok but today it's not the case... I did already all the procedures described in the link. Any idea?
  • I have encountered basically the same problem, and I believe I found at least one clue. I am using Zotero 2.0.3 with the MacWord 3.0b3 plugin, working on a document using a shared zotero library from my Group Library.
    When I refresh the citations, many of my citations cause the same error message to occur: "This item no longer exists..." If I toggle the field code, there is one difference that tracks with those that throw the error and those citations that do not. The internal "uri" in the field code of error-causing citations gives a URL that begins "http://zotero.org/users/...." as opposed to "http://zotero.org/groups/..."
    This can occur when the user cites from their personal "My Library" rather than the "Group Library" - but Zotero should clearly be able to figure this out and point itself to the correct resource. Seems like a MAJOR bug to me.
  • edited August 1, 2010
    jderisi: The bug I believe you're describing is fixed in the latest 2.0 branch dev XPI and will be in 2.0.4. It won't occur in all cases, but it will sometimes cause items cited from group libraries to go missing on the next refresh.
  • Dan: thanks for the quick reply. I installed the 2.0 branch dev XPI, but I am not sure it fixes the fundamental problem. Using test documents, I found it did not resolve the issue.

If I am collaborating on a document via a shared group library, and the collaborator makes a citation in the document from their personal library, rather than the group library (even though it is present in both), then that citation will not be found ("Item 1 no longer exists....") when I load up the document and refresh the citations, even though the citation in question exists in the Group Library.

It seems that Zotero, having not found it in the User library, should be able to find it in the Group Library. Otherwise, the only workaround is to copy and share the local zotero library, or worse, go back and find and change every "user" citation and change it to the proper "group" citation.

Another way to fix this would be to have zotero realize at the time of citation that the reference exists in both the User and Group libraries, and so it could query the user whether the citation should be made from the User side or the Group side.
  • right now items in the group and personal library exist as separate items, equivalent to having a duplicate item in your personal database.
    So while I understand you're not happy with that, what you're describing is not a bug. It's current intended functionality.

I believe when you move something to a group library the two items remain linked somehow, but currently that feature isn't used. The solution you suggest also raises all types of issues: What if someone modifies the item either in the group or in the private library, for example? What type of modifications should count? I think this should be possible to solve in the future - but it's non-trivial.
    (the user query idea I don't think is desirable at all - that's just going to drive people crazy).
  • Yeah, what adamsmith said. (I don't remember what the status of using the stored links is, but the problems adamsmith raises are real.) And I think I was wrong, anyway—that bug existed only on the trunk, not in 2.0.3.
  • (And you should revert to 2.0.3.)
  • Hi, I'm having this problem with an older document. Is there any solution? I have a chapter with 70-odd citations, many involving multiple references--any way of repairing it without going back and fixing each one?

I'm using the latest version of Zotero, although I'm not sure what version I was using when the document was created or worked on a month or so ago.

Thanks,
    Jon
  • what exactly is "this problem" here? Just the "item no longer exists" error? Or do you know more specifically what is causing it?
  • edited October 12, 2010
    Hi, sorry for being vague. And sorry for densely posting into this thread--I see now that it mostly deals with personal versus group library issues related to the "no longer exists" problem...

I opened a chapter I've been working on, and attempted to modify a citation. I received an "item no longer exists" error. I canceled out of the dialog and attempted to alter other citations--no luck. So all of the citations appear to be removed from their links to my zotero database. I tried to change the style for the document, but this initiated the "no longer exists" dialog again. I also tried other approaches from
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents without success.

Thanks again,
    Jon

EDIT: I started manually working my way through the entries that came up in the dialog. After fixing a couple, the rest of the entries were re-connected. So I must have deleted or somehow altered those records in the past month or two... Anyway, problem solved, I think.