From OO to Word and Back

Dear Zotero Developers:

This discussion works off a few from last year. I have a dissertation that has hundreds of notes in Chicago style (Reference Marks). I have wanted to transition to OO for a long time, and now am trying to do that. But when I open a Word (.doc) file which used Zotero and Chicago style (Reference Marks) in OO, all the dynamic links are broken right away. There is no recovering them. I try to convert to MLA (which allows me to use Bookmarks), but this doesn't get those links back.

I saw that there was an OO compatibility problem, in fact almost this exact problem, a while back -- is this is still the case?

In other words, it seems that there is no real way to keep your dynamic links and use Chicago style (reference marks) when going from a Word doc to an OO doc.

I think this is true, just checking. I would love to move to OO, but if this means that I can't easily go back and forth between the two (many people only use Word, so the translation has to be near perfect), I guess I am stuck paying for Word.

Any thoughts on this>

Thanks,

Daniel
  • Alas, OpenOffice.org contains a bug that prevents bookmarks in citations from being properly saved to and loaded from Word binary doc files, which is why this capability is currently disabled in Zotero. In my brief testing, however, it looks like the Microsoft Office Open XML (docx) format, supported by OpenOffice.org 3, preserves bookmarks in footnotes. OOXML isn't supported by older versions of Word or OpenOffice.org, but seems to be fully interoperable in newer versions.

We will need to come up with a way of preventing users from accidentally saving footnotes containing bookmarks in doc format, but it may be possible to enable this functionality for OOXML in the near future.