WinWord Integration 3.0a4 does not install properly

I was recently prompted to upgrade this addon to the latest version. I am not sure what version I had previously, but it has worked fine for several months. Since I installed the update, I keep getting the error message "Zotero Word Integration could not complete installation because an error occurred. Please ensure that Word is closed, and then restart Firefox." This message appears frequently when I am browsing certain websites. However, I am still able to insert citations in Word 2003. I have Zotero 2.0.3, Windows 7, and Firefox 3.6.3.

Does anyone have a suggestion about what might be causing this error?

Thank you in advance.

Amie
  • edited June 16, 2010
    Provide a Report ID after you get the error.
  • Hi Dan,

The report ID is 2045527217. Thank you for your help.

Amie
  • Zotero is trying to update the file that provides the Word toolbar, but it seems as though something is preventing the file from being modified. Assuming Word is in fact closed, this is probably a permissions issue. Click the Start menu/Windows button, type %AppData% into the box, and press return. In the window that opens, navigate to Microsoft\Word\Startup. Unless you have changed your Word settings, there should be a file named Zotero.dot in that directory. Try moving that file to the desktop, and then, with Word closed, restart Firefox.
  • Thank you Simon. My problem is resolved. It turns out the problem was that I had Outlook open and Outlook had Word open. When I followed your instructions, I found the file but could not move it because it was in use by Word, even though I verified that Word was closed. That is when I realized that Outlook was running Word because it is the mail editor.

Amie
This discussion has been closed.