entries with same year

hey,
I am quite new to zotero and trying to manage the literature for my phd with this tool.

so, and here comes a (possibly very simple) question, but it drives me crazy at the moment: how can I make differentiate zotero between book-entries of the same author AND the same year? I want the program to automatically count "smith 2008a" and "smith 2008b", for example? anybody out there willing and able to help me?

thank you,
j.
  • why does it drive you crazy? No, seriously, zotero already does it when you generate a bibliography. It is handled by the different styles (preview here: http://www.zotero.org/styles), so select a style that does it in a manner that suits you. In your library, you do not see any of this, but this is also not necessary.
  • thank you, and it is good to know that it works in the bibliography.

BUT, still, it drives me crazy, 'cos I would need the information already in the library as I need to know which abbreviation I have to put in the footnotes.

so do I have to imprint the bibliography first to know which "smith 2008xx" is the right one to put in the text? seems awfully complicated to me!
  • The bibliography entries and the Zotero-inserted citation references in the document will match; it's all handled automatically.
  • and that is the only way this can work: Because whether something is Smith 2008a, 2008b, or 2008c isn't a stable feature, but depends on the other citations in a document.
  • ok, now I see my problem, the "Zotero-inserted citation references" just do not work on my computer.
    may this be a mac problem????
  • the "Zotero-inserted citation references" just do not work on my computer.
    What do you mean by this?
    may this be a mac problem????
    Zotero is used on Macs (and many of the development team members use Macs).
  • when trying to install the plugin for zotero 1 for mac, it does not work - but I guess because I do something wrong...
    sorry if this question has been asked too often already, but where do I have to put the "zotero.doc" file to make the plug in work??
    I use word 2004.
    thank you.
  • "it does not work"
    these types of statements are not helpful -
    see point 3.) here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs
  • right.
    so I guess I just need the information where to put the "zotero-doc"-file.

what I did: I downloaded the dmg-file, opened it, but there was no automatic installation, only two files: an "drag here to install"-folder and a "zotero.doc"-file.
    how do I proceed to install the plugin now?

thank you.
  • ???
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation#microsoft_word
    the word plugin is a Firefox add-on, just like Zotero itself.
    There is no "Zotero.doc" that does anything of relevance, though there is a "Zotero.dot" - you shouldn't have to touch that, though.
  • edited June 17, 2010
    when trying to install the plugin for zotero 1 for mac
    Zotero 1.0 and its associated plugin are very old and no longer supported. If you want to use Zotero 2.0 and its plugin we'd be happy to help you—otherwise you're on your own.
  • ok, I upgraded to 2.0 and now the word extension seems to work, too!
    thanks!