Moving the "note cards" within an entry

Is it possible to alter the order of the individual notes within a particular cite? I generally take my notes a page number order within a book or article, using different "cards" with useful headers. Sometimes, though, I go back and want to insert a "note card" earlier in the group, and I can't find a way to do that. Is it possible?
  • No; they are unordered.
  • This will likely be possible eventually, but not in 1.0.
  • Dan: adding support for order will complicate import and export, as well as merging data (say aggregating notes from users within a group).

It might make sense to first implement the server functionality and figure out how people will use it before crossing this bridge.
  • what about sorting by note? if one puts a page number at the beginning of the note, at least it should be possible to put notes in the order of page numbers. i got an impression that sorting by note should already be possible, it just hasn't been added to the interface.
  • edited September 19, 2007
    "Standalone" notes are already sortable by name.

Notes that are children of an item are currently always sorted by when the note was originally added.
  • edited September 20, 2007
    It would be nice to have child notes sortable by "name."
  • It would be nice to have child notes sortable by "name."
    I thought we did this already. Guess not.

Child note sorting checked in on the branch (r1721).
  • Great, thanks! It sorts alphabetically of course, but one could just add zeros to small numbers to sort correctly by page number, i.e. [002], [045], [367].
  • Thanks for all of this,it really helps. But I'm still a basic user, so I'm not sure what Dan means by "Child note sorting checked in on the branch (r1721)." I know what child notes are -- that's what I meant by "note cards," I guess. But "checked in on the branch?" Is there something I'm supposed to check off?

Thanks,
    Melani
  • Thanks for all of this,it really helps. But I'm still a basic user, so I'm not sure what Dan means by "Child note sorting checked in on the branch (r1721)."
    Sorry, that's technospeak for "it will be in the next release of Zotero".