RE: "The Endeca translators are not in RC3"

Response to Dan Stillman - "The Endeca translators are not in RC3"

Quoting Dan: "The Endeca translators are not in RC3—they're only in the dev builds and available via the translator repository. However, newly installed Zotero clients should automatically update to the latest translators from the repository at install time if the pref to do so is on."

Dan: How do I set the "prefs" ? Under "TOOLS" -> "Add-ons" ->"Options" I do not see any "Prefs" setting. I see "resolvers" under the "General" Tab, and "installers", etc under other tabs. But, even if I am able to get things running by installing translators (which I assume are sqlite files), the average user will not be aware of the option.

Quoting Dan: "The Endeca translators work fine for me with a fresh RC3 install. Is this not happening for you?" - The response is "no". I have tried on several machines. Zotero works with Endeca only for machines with the existing sqlite databases. If I remove the sqlite files (which I have done as a test) then Zotero no longer works with Endeca.

I am able to get Zotero working by copying sqlite files from previous Zotero installs to the proper directories. But, a fix that will automatically take care of the problem for the average user would be much appreciated.

Again, Thank You for all of the support.

"Bo"
  • Under the "General" tab of Zotero preferences, you'll see a checkbox labeled "Automatically check for updated translators." If this box is checked, Zotero will look for updated site translators once per day. You can also force an immediate translator update by clicking the "Update now" button. Just make sure you're online when you do so. We have been rolling out new and updated translators to Zotero clients like this for a year now without any problems, so no "fix" is needed.
  • Updating works, but the checkbox is labeled "Automatically check for updated scrapers." It is a very small thing, but now I will be able to show students.

Thank You,
    "Bo"
  • (We changed it to "updated translators" in the dev builds, so that's what it'll be in the next release.)

The default for the pref is on, and Zotero does in fact update to the new translators in a new install, so there's no need to have students update manually. The only reason for that button is to allow people to update to a new translator right when we announce it rather than waiting up to 24 hours for the auto-update.

However, due to the way the translator system works currently, the updated translators won't work until after a restart of Firefox. (That's actually what fixed it for you—not the Update Now button.) We'll fix that in the next release. Thanks.