Changing data directory location and auto sync

I am currently working with two independent databases. To switch between the DB I simply switch the data directory in the advance settings. However, at one point I forgot to tick off "auto sync" which (totally) corrupted my database because it intermixed the two separate DB :-(

Anny suggestions? I think that, when using the DB, Zotero should let me know that auto sync is set and that this will...
  • you might have a back-up .sqlite that you could try restoring from (zotero.sqlite.bak) - obviously first make a back-up of your current sqlite.

You're using a hack to switch between your two databases that's not an intended usage case for Zotero, so, I'm sorry to say, you're on your own regarding the risks that come along with that. If you think you absolutely need this set-up (and using two separate FF profiles is not an option) it would probably be a good idea to never use auto-sync.
  • Are you saying, that switching between two separate databases is "a hack"? To me this seems to be a straight forward way to separate e.g. my academic and my private databases...
  • I have a similar question, although with a twist. I'm trying to get a library off of my old hard drive (now E: drive) which is now external/USB and I had changed the directory under prefs. as adamsmith did. However, I believe the zotero upgrades have outdated the E: drive library unreadable because I've been told it needs repaired. (I think the library is about 1.5 years old) I don't want to corrupt my data if there would be version conflicts. Anyone have any thoughts?
  • iOMEDICO - yes. Obviously it can be done (that's in the nature of a hack), but it's a) not intended usage and b) not very elegant and (obviously) not without risks (which for me would be the defining characteristics of a hack).

You can separate work and private account either using different Firefox profiles or just by using collections.

brian: open a new thread.