attaching a folder

I've received a folder of scripts and data files associated with a particular research paper. I'd like to "Attach stored copy" of the folder (including files therein) and not the individual files of scripts and data. Anyone know how to do this?

What I've tried:
1) Creating a shortcut to the folder and storing a copy of the shortcut.
-> No dice.
2) Selecting all the files in the folder and "Attach stored copy of file" so that they all store.
-> This works, but my particular folder has a subfolder hierarchy neatly organizing everything. I lose all of this by storing all the contained files in one flat folder.
3) Zipping everything and storing a copy of that
-> Not really desirable. I'd like to be able to get to these files, work with them quickly, and not have to unzip them every time.
  • Each attachment that is a stored copy is assigned an individual directory. You cannot have multiple stored copies in a single directory hierarchy unless you perform work-arounds similar to the ones that you describe (also, e.g. making a webpage & embedding the content in that page so that the single directory of the stored copy of the webpage includes everything you embedded).

You can attach links to all of the files, which will (of course) keep your files in the same place. These will not be synced, though.
  • No link to folder solution? That would work for me.
  • My current work-around:

I stick a dummy code.txt file in the folder and link to that. Works well enough for my purposes.
  • edited June 4, 2010
    Nope.
    Why exactly do you need the items in Zotero?
    What you need to be able to do with them does affect possible solutions:
    e.g. if you link to a single file in the folder you can use "Show File" to get to that folder.

Edit: OK same idea as yours above.
  • Couple reasons:

1) I'd like to have all my article-related files organized within Zotero and linked to the relevant article entries. Just a design thing.
    2) For back-up purposes it'd be nice to have everything centrally located within the Zotero hierarchy. Makes things quicker.

Not a huge deal though.