tag adding/removal problem

Hi folks,

Here's a couple of problems I'm having, and have been able to reduplicate it, but I don't think Trevor has been able to, so I don't know what the issue is.

I'm trying to do some tag cleanup in a group library. Everything works fine until I try to

* add a tag by dragging the item onto the tag in the lower left pane, which doesn't work

After that, I have an issue:

* if I try to remove a tag from an item (clicking minus button in the right pane), it doesn't seem to take, but if I select a different item and then go back to the original one, it's ok (some kind of refresh problem)

The only way I can get it back to work correctly (automatically disappear after I click the minus button to remove the tag) is to reinstall Zotero. I've tried reinstalling Firefox, but that doesn't do anything. I've also tried this in my home and group library, tried to make sure it wasn't a view thing (saved search versus library). Maybe because I have a crazy number of tags?

(Mac OS 10.6.3, Firefox 3.6.3, Zotero 2.0.3)

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
  • edited June 2, 2010
    Well, first, it's highly unlikely that reinstalling Zotero is doing anything, since it has no effect on data. More likely it's just restarting Firefox that's fixing a UI issue.
  • Does this happen for all tags, or just some?
  • oh, duh, thanks for the restarting Firefox thought.

just tried on two different tags, same issue.
  • but i did just note that a drag and drop over a tag did take for several items, i just had to refresh by going away from the item and coming back.

so i guess i probably just have some kind of UI issue.
  • Dan (or other Zotero developers),

I have the same UI-refresh problem when removing tags. Here is what happens:

(1) After selecting a library item in the center pane, I select the Tags tab in the right pane. Typically, I have multiple tags assigned per item.

(2) I attempt to remove one or more tags from the item by clicking their respective minus-sign buttons.

(3) The minus-sign buttons appear to have no effect. However, if I select a different tab -- Info or Notes, say -- and come back to the Tags tab, then my removed tags are gone.

Conclusion: the right pane is not refreshing properly when the minus-sign button is clicked.

My setup: Mac OS X 10.6.4; Firefox 3.6.10; Zotero 2.0.8

Thanks,
    -Tim
  • tdquinn: Can you reproduce this every time? Can you provide a Report ID? Have you tried disabling other Firefox extensions (and any non-default theme, though it shouldn't affect this)?
  • Hello Dan,

Per your message, I investigated whether this problem persists in a "vanilla" setup of Firefox. Attempting to remove a tag from a library item did not cause my menu option Actions>Report Errors... to switch from gray to active, so I could not generate a (relevant) Report ID.

I verified that the problem persists after the following:

(1) I reverted my Firefox theme back to Default.
    (2) I disabled all add-ons except the Zotero-related ones (Zotero, Zotero MacWord Integration, Zotero OpenOffice Integration, PythonExt -- all up-to-date).
    (3) I disabled all plug-ins except the Gecko default plug-in.
    (4) I closed and re-opened Zotero.
    (5) I closed and re-launched Firefox.

Yes, I experience this problem every time I try to remove a tag.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    -Tim
  • Reliably reproducible bugs are the best kind of bugs.

Does having the tag selector in the bottom left open or closed make any difference?

Does your DB pass the integrity check in the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs?

Are you reproducing with automatic (orange) tags or manual (blue) tags?

Are you reproducing in a local library or a group library?

Can you provide a Debug ID for the removal?
  • Dan,

My database does pass the integrity check. I am using a local library only (I have no group libraries) with only manual blue tags (I have automatic tags turned off and I have no automatic tags in my database).

The tag selector DOES matter! I usually keep my tag selector closed. When I launch Firefox and open Zotero, my tag selector is closed and I experience the tag removal problem. As soon as I open the tag selector, the problem goes away. If I subsequently close the tag selector or close and re-open Zotero, the problem stays fixed. Only when I close and re-launch Firefox with the tag selector close does the problem reappear.

I tested the above sequence and uploaded it under Debug ID D341383463.

Thanks again,
    -Tim
  • Fixed on the trunk. The fix will be included in 2.1b3. Thanks.
  • Hello,

Could you please help me how to remove the tags? I use Mac. On the left side of the screen tags are listed, but there is no any sign for remove tags.

Thank you,
    Ildiko
  • If you want to entirely delete a tag, i.e. remove it from all items, in the tag selector on the left right-click on it and select "delete tag".

If you want to delete a tag from an item, in the tag selector on the _right_ click the minus sign after that tag.